Red Cyno Attack

Brunofamily

we had a red cyan earlier in september in one corner of our tank, and i realized that every morning before the tank lights turned on, light would get in from a window nearby. after adjusting the light cycle of the tank and closing the blinds, the problem seemed to have cured itself.

Odd, never had chemi clean -not- work. Are you stopping your filter/skimmer and adding an air source for 48 hours? What's your nitrate at?

yeah same here. I had it bad too.....every rock had patches on it. Chemiclean as directed and huge water change. Then set level up on skimmer and wet skimmed for a while to get nutrient count down.

Did you move the tank? Stir up the sand bed?

If you've got cyano you're most likely overfeeding and/or providing too much light. Additionally, increasing flow in the tank will keep cyano from settling.

So, things to try: cut back on food, do 3 days of darkness (no light at all), adjust your power heads to try and establish current throughout your tank (avoid having dead spots). After 3 days the cyano should be struggling to hang on or may outright disappear. This doesn't mean it's gone, just that it is floating in the water. Immediately after the 3 days of darkness do at least a 50% water change, and if you still see signs of it do another 50% at the end of the week. You have to get the free-floating cyano out of the tank as well as the nutrients in the water column that it is feeding on.

If you've got cyano you're most likely overfeeding and/or providing too much light. Additionally, increasing flow in the tank will keep cyano from settling.

So, things to try: cut back on food, do 3 days of darkness (no light at all), adjust your power heads to try and establish current throughout your tank (avoid having dead spots). After 3 days the cyano should be struggling to hang on or may outright disappear. This doesn't mean it's gone, just that it is floating in the water. Immediately after the 3 days of darkness do at least a 50% water change, and if you still see signs of it do another 50% at the end of the week. You have to get the free-floating cyano out of the tank as well as the nutrients in the water column that it is feeding on.

I'm only feeding twice a week and cannot provide 3 days of darkness due to corals. I cut back on my light timer by 2.5 hours per day and I'm still having problems unsure.png

I'm only feeding twice a week and cannot provide 3 days of darkness due to corals. I cut back on my light timer by 2.5 hours per day and I'm still having problems unsure.png

Why can't you do 3 days of darkness due to corals? It's much more dangerous to the corals to have them covered in cyano than to have them in darkness for a few days. The corals will be absolutely fine. Think of it this way, in the ocean during storms corals can go days without sunlight. If you want to get rid of the cyano quickly the best way to do it is 3 days of darkness followed by a large water change.

• 1 month later...

DO NOT RUN SKIMMER WHILE USING CHEMICLEAN

Well if you want a foamy mess all over your floor then yeah you could use the skimmer lol! You dont want to pull the solution out of the water for 48hrs or it wont work.

Carbon is useless for cynao and not many critters will eat it. If you have cyano, then your nutrient level is too high. Overfeeding, stirring up sand bed, incorrect lighting combined with the afore mentioned will make cyano explode. Its common to see cyano when using someone elses "live" sand from one tank and moving it another. Only success Ive had at doing this is to stir up the sand every few hours and wet skim like crazy (empty skimmer cup every hour...) and large water changes while water is still cloudy from stirring up the sand. At the end of the day, just pays to get some dead sand and flush the hell out of it with tap water to get as much silicates out and let your tank run through a small cycle using live rock.

• Like 1

Aquatek has some trochus snails (as of last weekend) in stock -- those suckers ate my cyano! smile.png

p.s. Pailines - all that's required after chemiclean is a WC...20% after 48 hours iirc.

Edited by Elizzy

I had a bit of a red algae outbreak happening in my 29 biocube. Tossed an elephant slug into my tank and in two days it's all gone. I'm giving him a couple more days and then he is going to have to go somewhere else. He will starve out my CUC with how much he eats.

• 1 month later...

I agree with everyone...The cyano is the symptom of a much larger problem......You have way too much nutrient and not enough exportation of those nutrients..... Many would argue for a DSB but I am against them in small tanks......get your filtration from LR and WC and skimming if you can. IME any DSB I ever used held all kinds of nasty stuff ( ever stirred up your sand bed and then tested water?) As long as you continue what you are doing then you will be fighting the same battle over and over again..Unless......You are cycling a tank and added someone elses "live" sand i.e. a handful of someone elses detritus and waste filled particulate. If you are cycling then just do as everyone else says and reduce remove and filter..Hopefully after the tank cycles and settles down it will even out..........If you are running the right spectrum and have good flow then that pretty much says you are overtaxing your tank with a heavy bioload....I.e. feeding fish and whatnot. Pull back on everything. Let your corals get their food from the light for a week or so....But then,.......You have to remember that even if you shut lights, dont feed for a few days/wks......WHat will happen when you resume things as normal? Same problem......You got the algae by doing something your tank did not like......Now its time to identify source of problem and either eliminate it or modify it to be more within allowable params.....Good luck!!!! Go slow and patience is key......Just think if you go out and buy someone to eat that algae....you are just increasing not only your bioload( nutrient req and addition to system.....but also adding another band aid to an overfed system already.....what happens if it dies off and fouls your water? A nutrient filled dead thing is sure to cause you a problem......