OVERGROWTH OF HAIRY ALGAE!

fishface

Yuck! I just took the time to really examine my tank and there seems to be a TON of hair-like green algae on the living rock. How much is too much?

Everything seems fine. I ad the water tested a few days ago before I noticed this. Please: How much green algae is too much? You can't even see the live rock anymore and I'm concerned that the algae might be smothering what else might be growing on the rock.

Thanks for any opinions and/or advice.

Since you have a nanocube, you could set up a refugium really easy by cutting off the back vinyl (if you haven't already) and putting a cheap $10 clip on bulb (Home Depot) to light it at night on an opposite schedule of your main lights. This will allow your system to grow macroalgae in an area where you don't want to see it and decrease your nitrates and phoshates at the same time. Plus, you get a nice pod farm as well.

Can you take some pictures? It could be hair algae or could be bryopsis. Both have very different methods of treatment and control. No matter what it is, reducing NO3 and PO4 is generally the only way to get it under control in the long term.

What are you testing for? What is specifically your NO3 and PO4? How long has the tank been established, what's your water change schedule, what do you have stocked in it?

Since you have a nanocube, you could set up a refugium really easy by cutting off the back vinyl (if you haven't already) and putting a cheap $10 clip on bulb (Home Depot) to light it at night on an opposite schedule of your main lights. This will allow your system to grow macroalgae in an area where you don't want to see it and decrease your nitrates and phoshates at the same time. Plus, you get a nice pod farm as well.

The black vinyl? The back of the nano holds the three filters and I don't understand what you mean by cutting it off. Here is one photo of some of the algae. I hope this helps. BTW, I really appreciate all of the help you reef lovers have given me.

This is one view of one LR from the front. The green hairy stuff is like this over most of the live rock. It's so thick here it's even floating around in the water.

We've been doing water changes about every two weeks and are doing another one tonight, changing a recommended 1/3 of the water.

`

post-1975-0-67777500-1314134426_thumb.jp

Edited by fishface

Google "refugium mod nanocube" and you'll get plenty of examples. On the back glass on the nanocube, it is covered in this black vinyl. It is on the outside of the tank, not inside, just for clarification. You just take a blade a cut it off so that you can look from the back of the tank directly into the middle chamber. It's like looking into the middle chamber through a window by the time you're done with it. Then, add a light, some chaeto, and you have an instant refugium.

Here's my two cents and I'm quoting some other people from a similar thread so I guess I'm giving you their two cents so it's up to six cents worth of sage advice. grin.png

As one who has been battling this for several months I have finally started to see the tank make a turn for the better. As you mentioned, it appears your phosphates are a little high. I would ask, how often do you change out your GAC, what are you using for top off, and how long is your photo period? Also can you test your pH? You might switch the GAC to GFO. . . This should help bring to the Phosphates I have tried all kinds of "chemical" fixes from Tech M to Everclear. While these had some effect it wasn't really killing it. I found this article and have put it to good use.

Green Hair Algae: Why me?

Understand that what might work in my tank may not work in yours. There are too many variables. I hope this gives you a little help. Good luck and keep us post. Dave-

and in addition to checking/dealing with phosphates:

You can probably find or get two hundred different solutions. I have figured out in this hobby there is mo one size fits all solution. I had a serious outbreak of GHA and Cyano at the same time. This is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Replaced bulbs

2. Cut my light cycle by 25%

3. added phosgard per a suggestion from Jake

4. Replaced carbon and chemipure

5. 50% water changes every other day Before each water change I scrubbed the rocks off with a new toothbrush.

Inside of 2 weeks it was gone and has not returned yet. Just my experience.

This is pretty much the sequence I would do although I'd do the water changes weekly and wouldn't cut the light cycle. I really like urchins like the Royal, Tuxedo or Atlantic Green for long term maintenance

Thanks for all of your help. I actually removed some by hand, purchased a few red and blue legged crabs did another water change and purchased a lawn-mower blennie. Things seem much better now. I really appreciate the help!