Lamont's 90g Build

Lamont

I have recently acquired an awesome 90g tank from a fellow hobbyist for a great deal. I was actually wanting a 120g for the width but decided to get this one. It has the same foot print as my 75g I had a couple of months ago. As some of you know I do not use a sump and have had great success doing it. I use canister filters(Fluval 404 and G6) and skimmers as my main source of filtration. I traded my 75g for a Fluval G6 filter and would do it again in a heartbeat. This filter allows me to have mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration in one unit. I have phosphate balls, Carbon and live rock as the media within the filter. Saves me some dough compared to buying reactors. The Filter also measure your salinity, temp, and conductivity of the water. I am going to take my sweet time setting up this tank. I have really not had any issues with any of my previous tanks except temperature. For light I am using 2-250w MH's and 2-65w PC's as well as blue moonlights. I used to want to add a chiller to my tanks but I have success with using fans. The tank has been running since Saturday and I have have been checking the water parameters every day since. I am using API test kits for now. I know they are not the best, but at least I'm getting a since of how the water is.

I am using 150lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand. At least it used to be live. When I shut down my tank I put my rock and sand outside in the 100 degree weather for weeks to eliminate unwanted pest. So now I am cycling everything over again. Some fellow reefers(Warren, Kenny, Jason) have given me some old water to help me save on using new salt and water.

During the time I didnt have my 75g I had down graded to a 25g. I could not stay away. I am going to use that tank as my quarantine tank now. I have posted a few pics to show the aquascaping and some of the test result as of today. Thank you for checking out this post and I will continue to update it as I go.

post-1245-0-79008500-1312440632_thumb.jp

Glad you got back to it so quickly after the move Lamont. Good thing you cooked all the rock too, I found a couple of those pesky aiptasia anemones all over the rocks that came with the frags and just removed the coral frags yesterday from the rock and cooked it all. Burn bast*** burn! Haha.

Let me know when you are ready for some frags. I'll give you the same awesome discount you gave me. LOL.

-Ty

Here are a few more pics from last night. The tank is made from 1/2 inch glass. I did not know that tanks this size would be built with such thick glass. My 75g glass was just 3/8 inches thick. I did some aquascaping last night also. I have not used all the rock I have yet. The remaining rock I have is being used with fishing line and super glue to sculpt into domes, caves and frag towers. I will post a pic of the frag towers in a few minutes. The 25 gallon tanks that is sitting to the left will be used as a quarantine tank for now. I have a 2 strip t-5 light for that tank that im about to put over it. The main tank uses 2x250w MH's and 2x 65w PC super actinics. I use phoenix 14k DE bulbs at the moment, but will end up switching to plusrites 20k bulbs. They seem to have a good history around the reffing community with a much lower cost.

post-1245-0-27911600-1312465852_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-25996200-1312466166_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-76859600-1312466240_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-62771300-1312466330_thumb.jp

Here are a few pics of the Fluval G6 and the frag tower I was speaking about earlier. I have really never been to fond of frag racks hanging inside of my display tank. I would love to frag corals without pulling a big piece of rock out the tank and slicing the coral off that rock also. So i just decided to try some out of the ordinary. So I took some live rock rubble and some chiseled rock and drilled into it with the smallest drill bit i could find. I used a medium size rock as the base for balance. I used fishing line to put through the pre drilled holes. From this point I super glued each piece of rock to the one under it. This was fairly simple since i just wanted to go straight up with it.(time consuming though) I dipped it in salt water after every piece that was glued to help ii set faster. I may try this method to do different shapes, but for now straight up is fine with me. I have it hanging right now to help with the crookedness. Once I start mounting corals to the individual sections of the tower it will be easy to just break it of and the rest of the tower will still be standing. Will also give the tank a unique appearance. I plan on doing three of these type of tower then may try an "S" shaped design.

post-1245-0-75714500-1312467925_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-47877200-1312468045_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-83621100-1312468090_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-19182400-1312468159_thumb.jp

Glad you got back to it so quickly after the move Lamont. Good thing you cooked all the rock too, I found a couple of those pesky aiptasia anemones all over the rocks that came with the frags and just removed the coral frags yesterday from the rock and cooked it all. Burn bast*** burn! Haha.

Let me know when you are ready for some frags. I'll give you the same awesome discount you gave me. LOL.

-Ty

Glad to be back Ty. I surely will give you a call when Im ready for stocking.

Your frag tower is a cool idea... in fact, I thin it would just be a cool thing to have in the tank and let various branching corals colonize it and grow outward.

I finished it last night and it does look unique inside the tank. I will post some pics when I get home today. Thanks for checking out the thread.

Here is a few more pics of the build. I put the rest of my rock in. So that makes 120lbs of cured live rock(1 month) and 20lbs of dry uncured rock. All of it was baked in the sun for at least a month. The first 120 had been curing for three weeks and the second batch was still baking when I decided to put it in. I scrubbed all of it before i put it in though. I also prepped some of the rock for frag plugs by drilling 1/2 inch holes in it. You can see one of the prepped rocks on my sand bed. I also chose to angle my frag tower so that it would not create symmetry in the tank. Since the base is wide you can angle it however you like. I also added a little halimeda macro algae for decoration. I know it drinks calcium but I can monitor and control it easily. I also took a pic of one of my filter cartridges and the brushes that i clean it with. This is the very fine mesh cartridge. I have two of them, so my routine maintenance is very easy. When one needs to be cleaned i slap the other in and clean it at my convenience.

I have a green bubble tip anemone in there but I'm about to remove it and get a Rose bubble tip. They have some at aquatek for a good price. I wanted to put the anemone in first so it can settle in then I can place corals accordingly. So I will post this one on the sale thread if interested. I have been testing my water every other day to make sure that the last 20lbs of rock is not affecting anything. So far so good. The water that was given to me to seed the tank was superb. I did not care about the condition when it was given to me but I tested it anyway and I must say you guys have some great water. Thanks again Migs, Inland Reef, Wa1tx, and Kmmthree. You guys rock.

post-1245-0-98281400-1312897859_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-21224800-1312897988_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-33566600-1312898094_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-61548000-1312898193_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-51476100-1312898711_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-52677300-1312898847_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-67330900-1312899313_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-09355000-1312900437_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

There is a guy on rc that used tiles stacked up sort of like your liverock tower. He glued zoa's to the top and they grew down the column. It's a really cool look. I can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work.

Archived