Setting up a 115 gallon and have questions

gtovar

So I'm setting up a 115 gallon reef tank for the 1st time and was wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions. Being that I have never setup an aquarium of this size before I want to make sure I get the right size heater(s) for it and also want to make sure I put them in the right place. I'm going to be putting in a sump and was wondering if that would be the best place to keep the heater (hidden). What size heater(s) would I need to install for an aquarium of this size? Any info. is greatly appreciated.....

Depending on the type of lighting you plan to run, return pumps, power heads etc etc, you may not even need to run a heater. Maybe get the tank setup with all of this and see if it is even necessary to run one. There are a lot of folks that run their tanks without one.

If you do decide to run a heater because the temp is lower than you desire, then I would say the sump would be the place to put it. If you do decide to go with one check out the JBJ true temp heaters, they have gotten pretty good reviews.

I was going to say something about heaters but I was reading through all the other postings and when I googled hoverboards I couldn't find a retailer. :blink: If you wanted to get a heater "just in case" I doubt you'd need anything larger than a 200 watt for your size tank.

I was going to say something about heaters but I was reading through all the other postings and when I googled hoverboards I couldn't find a retailer. :blink: If you wanted to get a heater "just in case" I doubt you'd need anything larger than a 200 watt for your size tank.

You didn't look very hard. eBay always has a few for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACK-FUTURE-2-GRIFF-TANNEN-PIT-BULL-HOVERBOARD-/280658649416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41588f2148

As far as a heater, I doubt you will need one. But if you do end up getting one, don't skimp! I would definitely look into some of the nicer titanium heaters rather than glass, and also plug it into a controller for double redundancy.