Condylactis question, help please!

jbharlan91

Are you feeding the condy? They are carnivorous, and like to capture food.

Also, it is normal for anemones to inflate/deflate dramatically. As long as it does not look like it disintegrating or not staying attached to a rock, then I wouldn't worry about it.

+1

I have one, it goes from looking like a pile of flat noodles to the below in a few hours.....every single day. Lights out it almost evaporates....20min with lights on and bingo.

post-1771-0-35575900-1310492750_thumb.jp

that's what mine did look like, but now it turned more brownish, and the very tips, just below the purple spots, are all pinched, like a balloon animal when you twist the balloon to section off a piece. Does that make sense? Wish I had a camera that would do justice to a picture...

We were trying to feed it once a week, maybe twice. Today we tried just to see if it would make it happier. I don't really want to ditch it, I like both of them, but I agree I would ditch it over the bubble tip. Plus, the clown fish would be very angry, and then my daughter would get angry, and she's probably going to get really mad when I tell her we may not be able to keep her starfish because it's probably going to eat my coral!

Last ditch effort, since it'll cost you zero dollars. Put that other pump in the tank to get more flow. Anemones love current. If it doesn't help, take the pump back out. Still zero bucks.

Mine had the pinched tips. I wouldnt be surprised if there is something in the end of the tentacle and its pinching like that to store it. Maybe it just ate too much. How big a shrimp are you feeding? I feed mine 2 times a week half of a small silverside.

My husband was dicing up the shrimp, we may have given it too big a piece. Not sure what size a silverside is...

Fish bits. There's a good bit of controversy about whether or not silversides are good for anemones. I've seen some talk of people's Nem's dying shortly after being fed silversides. (coincidental or what? I dunno)

Plus, the clown fish would be very angry, and then my daughter would get angry, and she's probably going to get really mad when I tell her we may not be able to keep her starfish because it's probably going to eat my coral!

What starfish do you have that eats coral?

It's a chocolate chip starfish, pretty cool, but I've read that it isn't reef friendly and can munch on coral. My 3 year old loves it though, calls it cookie and watches it all the time. I want to raise coral so.....I've been keeping an eye on it.

That's a good rule of thumb to remember! Cookie defiinitely has spikes....I saw him early this morning next to one of my coral frags with a tentacle out...darn starfish, why can't they keep their tentacles to themselves!

Well, the condylactis problem didn't end well at all. Thanks Ryan for coming over to look at it. While he was shrivelled up, he completely let detached from his rock and lay upside down on the sand. He was slimy. I kind of panicked thinking he would poison my tank and took him out. Anyone had this kind of experience with an anemone before and have any idea what happened?

You did the right thing removing it if it looked like it was dying. Anemones can be very fickle creatures. They normally like well established tanks, though condys are known to generally be tougher.

I am unable to keep large anemones in my 75g, for no apparent reason. I have kept them very successfully in my old 24g, but in my 75 they all end up shrinking into oblivion.

Last night my GBTA was about 4" in diameter. Less than a minute later he was the size of a quarter but my condi was full bloom. Weird, one was happy the other was *issed. Who knows, when I get home they will both probably be happy....patience is paramount..

What freaked me out and made me remove him was his foot letting go of the rock and his whole body just turning over upside down on the floor. And he didn't feel sticky at all or really respond when I moved him. My GBTA seems perfectly fine.

Condies are white

Condies are white when they are missing their zooxanthellae, apparently most of them are more of a yellow brown, which JB's was turning a few days ago. (Everything I read mentioned this was a positive sign)

Maybe the above is wrong? I found numerous accounts of white condies being considered unhealthy.