144g 1/2 round Oceanic

Mike Mays

Update. Just added a nice hippo tang from Josh. Thanks bud! When I got home, the bucket was pretty cold, so I used my spare heater to warm the water a bit. Then waited until he started to move around. He's in the tank, hiding in the rocks right now. I'll get a picture of him soon!

That is correct, I love those smile.png still have yet to buy one though. Where did you get yours, and does it grow well?

I got it at RCA and it has doubled in size in less than six months. I'm wondering, how do they reproduce? I haven't seen where anyone "frags" these guys. Any idea how they multiply?

thats awesome growth! from what ive gathered reading online, fragging them really isnt all that successful. people were saying that when they cut theirs, neither cut made it most of the time, although a few were successful. they were saying that when they did live, they took forever to look normal again. idk how they reproduce in the wild, if its from sexual reproduction or popping out a little mini-coral....? i wish people could frag them more easily, id love one that wasnt wild caught!

Edited by Bannerfish

Here's most of my fish:

This is a nice group shot of several of the fish.

post-2003-0-60185300-1329868540_thumb.jp

Here's the new hippo and the yellow tangs

post-2003-0-33595700-1329868586_thumb.jp

My ellusive melanaurus wrasse and the ever present cleaner wrasse

post-2003-0-26896200-1329868587.jpg

The baby of the tank. This red coris wrasse hangs out in one corner of the tank most of the time. Given that it is the smallest residents, it's not surprising.

post-2003-0-81761100-1329868587.jpg

Here's a shot of the female skunk in one of the rose BTAs.

post-2003-0-04445000-1329868589_thumb.jp

All taken with my iPhone.

I've always heard bristle worms were bad. They can sting fish right?

I have read that. The big nasty that I posted last fall has not been seen since I got the malenaurus wrasse.

those coris wrasses have some beautiful colors as babies. i need to get me a tang biggrin.png im gonna try to find out what the lavender tang looks like, ive never heard of them before you posted it up here.

I have a picture of mine posted earlier. It's kind of light grey, with two blue spots aligned vertically in front of a lyre-shaped tail. It's a very active fish.

Man that is a nice setup. How many lbs of rock and what kind?

I think I have approx. 150 lbs. of rock. I only had maybe 30lbs. of it live to start. I ordered some dead rock and bought some from Prof. Then it was just time, time, time. Now 7 months later, I have pods and coraline and all sorts of other life going on!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in reef keeping as well, but want to keep it with the chronicle of my tank build too. My fighting conch has cracks in his shell. Nothing has fallen on him (that I know of) and there hasn't been any rearrangement in the tank either. Weird huh?

post-2003-0-99983200-1331178959_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OUCH, WARM WATER BAAAAAD!!!!

Hopefully not too bad. When I went to hang seaweed last night, my water felt way warm. I went and checked the thermometer and the tank was at 89 degrees! I quick went out to check the chiller and it wasn't running. Apparently, when we had the power glitches Monday night, my chiller had reconfigured the set point. The temp was set for 220 degrees! Thank God it only cools the water! I reset the temperature on the chiller control panel to 80 and all is well again. My corals still look stressed today. I checked my chemistry and all levels are good. I am doing a water changed tonight, hoping that all will come back to life.

Fingers crossed everyone!