144g 1/2 round Oceanic

Mike Mays

And that SOB is heavy!! Glad it will be stationary for a while.

Here's day one. Thanks to Warren and Kenny for all their help and guidance. I'm sorry we missed the meeting today, but next month will have to do.

More to come...

Day 3 - Lights. Ran into a bump. The pump's outflow had been "retooled" for some unknown reason and the hose blew off.

***Note to Self*** a Mag 18 w/o an out hose connected is a geyser!!!

New pump face cover on order. For now have power heads circulating the tank.

post-2003-0-31650800-1310446812_thumb.jppost-2003-0-84262800-1310446857_thumb.jppost-2003-0-92462800-1310446909_thumb.jppost-2003-0-64531400-1310446788_thumb.jp

Thanks to all for your comments!

More to come...

What did y'all brace?

We mounted the halide in the front center of the canopy and didn't want to burn the center plastic support on the top of the tank. I called Oceanic and explained what we wanted to do. He initially said that the support was there to support the center of the bowing front glass. I explained that there was absolutely no tension on the center support and that it looked like it was there to support glass lids. He agreed that might be the case, but recommended we do something to replace that bracing. Here's what Mike came up with:

post-2003-0-30193200-1310509092_thumb.jp

post-2003-0-20913100-1310509093_thumb.jp

Well, tank is back to almost full function. The new pump faceplate is on, and properly attached to the system. Viola! No geyser!

Now I'm wondering about my protein skimmer. When I plugged it in, it didn't fully fill for awhile. After 20 minutes or so, it filled so full that the upper cup was 1/2 full of water and the bubbles were overflowing. Is there an adjustment somewhere for the water level?

You have to adjust the amount of air. When first starting my skimmer, I left it full open for a day and made small adjustments to it until I got it where I wanted it. Your skimmer is either a Reef Dynamics or Euro Reef not sure which, but you may be able to find the manual here

http://euro-reef.com/

http://www.reefdynamics.com/

The guess is a euro reef.

WA

Thanks, Warren, it is a euro reef and I found the owner's manual. am dialing it in now. I need to pull it out so that I can get a good grip on the locking collar for the top cup. That way when the cup gets dirty I can get it disconnected.

You can build a stand that it sits on to raise it a little higher in the sump if it is sitting too low. THD has acrylic and you can get reef safe silicone. I have mine sitting on a stand that raises it about 3 in.

acrylic cement would be a better bet just for stability, lifting that skimmer 2.5 inches should lower the internal water line to perfect IMO it will just take some tinkering with to figure out where its perfect, lots of time under the tank

acrylic cement would be a better bet just for stability, lifting that skimmer 2.5 inches should lower the internal water line to perfect IMO it will just take some tinkering with to figure out where its perfect, lots of time under the tank

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'm going to tackle that problem tonight. I'm hoping I can adjust the pipe down far enough so no stand is needed.

The skimmer is adjusted by moving the overflow pipe. It will slide up and down. The higher that pipe is the higher the water level and vice versa. Never had to restrict the air on a Euro-reef.

Thanks, Jason, I will check on that today.