Aquascaping

polarbear

I used stonehenge as inspiration for part of my rock work. The best suggestion I can make is, keep everything open. Don't stack the rocks too tightly. Essentially you want to have huge caves so that there is good water flow across as many surfaces of the rocks as you can.

Here's what I like to do for the actual structure: I use limestone flagstone to make shelves and use a masonry bit with a cheap hammer drill to drill holes and "pin" everything together with 1/2" CPVC pipe. Don't use tie wraps, they'll start to fail after a couple of years. Here's two "before and after" pictures

post-1247-0-17965200-1303567322_thumb.jp

Using the flagstone set up on "stilts" of base rock or honeycomb limestone (my favorite) it helps keep open rock work and makes a nice place to place corals. This shelf is about 5-6" off the bottom and you can look all the way to the back under it. Using the pipe to hold it in place along with the "stilt" underneath there is only one large piece of liverock on the right corner of the shelf. The rock wall on the left is against the overflow but is actually held away from the back wall 4-8" hiding the power head behind it.

post-1247-0-24273600-1303567524_thumb.jp

Hey everyone thanks for the help and suggestions. I finished my aquascapping and I think it came out pretty good. I can't post pics from my phone but I'll post some later and share my build with everyone.