215 Reef Tank

cmanning

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks......after 3 yrs. of having the aquascape the same......makes me want to change it a bit. If my husband had it his way and place it between this two columns, we could have done the aquascape more open, a be view from both sides----the front and back. There was a nice tank at RCA, a few months back, and I thought "this is what my perfect tank would be". I believe it was a 3x3 or 4x4 but it was not tall, which I like. Anything above 26" sucks for me.....I hate not be able to reach the sandbed.....it's just frustrating, to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the white balance in auto mode or custom? One thing I never figured out is W.B. To me the colors look a little "washed out"

I actually did adjust the white balance.....it was a bit too bright, but what I don't understand is when I have them in RAW format it shows on my screen vibrant and when I convert them to JPG format, they still look vibrant. I have photobucket account and I transfer them to it, then copied and pasted. When I preview them I notice they weren't a vibrant as they should. I posted a few pics in the gallery and they came out better than this ones.

Maybe this one is better.

gallery_40_5_271460.jpg

The close-up of the fish is great! Mine never hold still long enough to get good pictures of them ;)

This Tilefish is very bold and he acts like a dog, ready to be fed. So when he poses for me I give a treat (piece of shrimp) and he/she such a glutton.

I want to see macro of that beautiful seahorse of yours.

Ooohhh man don't get me started......I believe my seahorse has trigger lock or lockjaw. He tries to suck food and he's hungry but unable to get the mysis. Very frustrating and disheartening. He's been like this for a week and the longer it goes he will eventually die of starvation. Did a water change and by the way, the little gobies and other inhabitants are doing just fine. I remember him going thru this already once before, but it only lasted 2 days; I'm afraid he may not be so lucky this time.

We recently notice that one of the lights was not firing all the way. We switched the capacitors and sure enough we found the problem. Ended up replacing both capacitors for $22, heh...why wait for the other one to go out. Bulbs are even brighter so we're happy campers. Thinking about replacing a blue T5 bulb for a white one, will see if we like the change.

If I crop the fish eye in the RAW format, it looks pretty cool. You can see how smooth its around the eye....cool texture, that's the best I can describe it.

I'd love to see that...maybe you can save it as a jpeg and show us whenever you have time?

Marine-Glo T5 HO 54w 46".......we just placed 2 bulbs, one in the front and another in the back, just to increase some lighting in the middle. We've noticed that when the MH are on, right in the middle, it seems to be a bit dark. So we supplemented w/T5's and it did illuminated that area, just enough. My husband feels that the lighting might be a tad blueish, so we're getting 1 white bulb and see if it makes any difference. We can either place it on the front or back. I'll post BEFORE and AFTER pics of the light fixture, the tank with or without actinics and the changed bulb. Will see......but I was very surprised w/T5, they're bright.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow I love that second coral. What is it? The third pic looks like the ORA chips

That's my husband picking....ORA California Tort. The third pic is an ORA Roscoe's Blue Acro, and the fourth is an ORA Hawkin's Blue Echinata. He was surprised that after 30 min. of place them in the tank, their polyps started to show.

Well, we lost one of the blue tip tenius (mother colony) :) ..... at first we thought something was off w/water parameters and not realizing that the bulbs were the problem (needed to replace them). We had manage to frag the colony earlier on (about 6 months ago) and one of the frags started to loose its color, they looked bleach but w/polyp extension. Its been 1 wk. w/ the new bulbs in place and the tenius is making a come back and coloring up beautifully. What's the point I'm trying to make..... don't wait too long to change your bulbs, mark your calendar and change them between 6-8 months/or 7-9months, but don't wait too long .....your corals will appreciated.

A few brown corals are finally coloring up as well.

gallery_40_5_50022.jpg

gallery_40_5_94262.jpg

gallery_40_5_54349.jpg

And a new addition Baby Squamosa Clam

gallery_40_9_76929.jpg