overflow question / ideas

Jurgy

I'll be setting up a new tank in the near future and wanted to get some of your ideas. The tank has 2 overflows and I was curious what some of you might use or put inside your overflows. I've seen tanks with bio-balls, live rock and just the standard PVC in the overflow boxes. I would like to keep the noise down but also want to get the most use out of it. I appreciate your input.

Matt

What type of overflow? Standard full height ones?

The big 1350g build in Canada on RC has made use of their overflows as DSB that looks interesting. Here is a link to some info, post 3643. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17478501&highlight=dsb+in+overflow#post17478501

Another idea I've seen/read about is stocking Aiptasia or Xenia in there and harvest them from time to time.

It's a 110 with corner overflows. I've used bio-balls in the past there and was possibly considering live rock in there. I just want to do the smart thing there and not create a trap for detritus or other nuisances.

My opinion the best way to keep the noise down is use a low flow rate. I know some people like massive flow rates but they're not necessary through the sump or refugium (some animals do need high flow rates so using power heads is usually called for in the display tank). This also helps cut down on heat issues, the biggest single problem I run into. I like leaving my overflows empty personally but if you fill it with live rock rubble make sure to have a good intake strainer to reduce clogging (expect it to clog sooner or later from all the tube worms you'll get growing).