Newb and scared

tom0514

Hey everyone, I am brand spanking new to this and I'm scared. I've been reading everything online I can. I just got my tank last week and I am gathering my equipment now. It all seems overwhelming but I'm keeping to it. Hopefully I can get a tank as nice as some of you guys that have been posting. This site is AWESOME. I am glad there is a resource like this. Hope to talk to y'all soon.

Tom

welcome, i guess i can lend a hand. When you buy a piece of equipment dont buy cheap 1st, you WILL buy it twice if you do. +1 for COB, patience. I know you want it to look like a 2yr old tank NOW but dont do it. It will come in time. My 1st tank i rushed it and the outcome wasnt good. Depending on what kinda tank you want (fish only, fish and SPS, SPS,LPS etc) will depict alot in the equipment that shld be purchased. There are plenty here that will give you advice, some good, some not. In time you will figure out what your tank likes and EVERYONES tanks arent the same. What works for one doesnt always work for the other. Happy Reefing!!!

+1 for patience. An old reefer saying states "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.". Nothing could be truer. The advice I have goes with that you've already read.

Take it slow.

Understand your water chemistry.

Plan your purchases. (both hardware and livestock) (understand the needs and compatibilities of your livestock purchases before you bring them home)

The two most common mistakes made by new reefers are rushing their tanks and what I call 'see it, buy it' syndrome.

Read and ask questions. I started my first reef tank just over two years ago and wouldn't have made it this far without the good folk here at ARC.

Tom, I've been keeping saltwater for 23 years and still spend at least a couple hours a week reading. I am always recommending Sprung snd Delbecks "The Reef Aquarium" Vol. III ch 5, 6, 7 & 8. I think they do the best job of concisely explaining the basics. WetWebMedia.com and AdvancedAquarist.com are my favorite two websites. Having also been doing aquarium maintenance for 15 years I've seen a lot of different setups and the key to success is not a lot of fancy equipment but consistent maintenance and attention to your livestock. Maintaining a history of pH and Alkalinity is probably the most important tools I use. Sudden changes, even if still in acceptable ranges. usually indicates something may be out of kilter. Welcome to the addiction!

P.S. Don't expect everyone to agree. :wave: