Wavebox v Powerheads

Derek

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I currently have two powerheads in my tank. I was considering getting two more to help move the water around a bit more, then it occurred to me that a wavebox might be more efficient.

What would be best?

5 feet long, 3 feet wide, 2.5 feet deep.

• Coral Beauty Angel (1)

• Lamarck's Angel (1)

• Blue Angel (1)

• Starkii Damsel (1)

• Marine Betta (1)

• Purple Tang (1)

• Naso Tang (1)

• Orangle Shoulder Tang (1)

• Pink Skunk Clowns (2)

• Mystery Wrasse (1)

I ran my 90g for about a year with 3 powerheads, when Mark talked me into getting a nano-wavebox. I can't praise it highly enough. There is something about the waves that all of my inhabitants like. My anemones have gone nuts growing and I love to watch the other corals wave in the current. It's something that powerheads alone just doesn't provide.

Yes, I have a Tunze nano wavebox, two Tunze 6025s, and my split return. By inhabitants I meant mostly corals. My RBTAs, condy, torches, duncans, and feathers look great swaying in the current. But I did notice that a lot more of my fish seem to enjoy the waves as well.

Having systems with both, the Wavebox visually is more appealing but as far as the corals go I can't say it's better than powerheads on a timer to cycle them. Some corals definitely do appreciate fluctuations in the current though with whichever approach is used.