DIY Rock Wall Build

theresa

I have wanted to build a rock wall for my favorite tank a 34 gallon Red Sea Max tank for a long time now. JasonJones had posted his tank showing how he had built his rock wall and needless to say I really liked it. Jason invited me over to see his and I loved it. If you have not seen Jason's tank and want to build rocks or rock wall go see his tank it is awesome. Pictures does not do it justice. With Jason's help I now have a rock wall built in my tank.

January 30, 2011 Jason came over to my house to start on my tank. Jason asked me what and how I wanted it, I said I don't know, I am not creative, however Jason is extremely creative. We started mixing up the Portland white cement, sand, and crushed oyster shells and Jason started building the rock wall. Mixing up the mixture and building the wall did not take long and was really easy. I did the mixing and Jason did the building and I am very happy with it.

Now for the curing of the rock build. This part takes time. Jason did all the research on curing the rocks and gave me the details. It has now been three weeks. Next week I will add water and start testing the pH. Once the rocks wall is built it is best to put in a damp warm place for 7 to 28 days. I kind of messed up on this part, however Jason saved the day for me and fixed it. You would not believe how porous this rock wall is.

In the first 28 days I have every two to three days wet the rock wall down and take out excessive water at the bottom of the tank. Next week I will fill the tank with water and place powerheads to get lots of circulation going inside the tank to help with the curing part. Once the pH reads between 7 and 8.6 the curing will be finished.

A very special thank to Jason for all his hard work, help and patience he has with me, You are going to be one great Lawyer. I really love my tank and can't wait to get it filled with my sea friends.

post-1321-0-00954100-1298130200_thumb.jp

post-1321-0-74976700-1298130223_thumb.jp

post-1321-0-35027200-1298130246_thumb.jp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up Theresa! I am glad you are so happy with the final product. I think it really came out looking great.

If anyone else is interested in a wall, I want to test out a new way of making them and would be happy to built a wall for you. I will actually build two, one using the standard method and another using a faster curing concrete that should be ready to use in 2-3 weeks vs 2-3 months. I would like to do a full write up from start to finish on the wall, so we will take pictures throughout the process. The only thing I ask is that you provide the materials and are willing to take notes throughout the process and put together an initial draft of the write-up. If anyone is interested, let me know or talk to me at the meeting tomorrow night.

Here are three more pictures we took of Theresa's wall after we brushed off any loose rock and removed the cardboard tubes to make the tunnels.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

Edited by JasonJones

Thanks Everyone. so glad you like what Jason and I did. I still have aways to go but i am so proud of my rock wall and well worth it.

Jason, once this tank is ready for my little critters I will be ready to do another tank and. I will be glad to volunteer. biggrin.gif

Also, I have plenty of white Portland cement, and crushed oyster shell and will share. Out of sand.

Brooks I know you mention you do not like see tank equipment when looking at your tank. This is a great way of doing it. Let see if Jason will add a picture of his tank.

Oh Corey...I am still waiting for pictures of your rock wall. Are you ready to do one like mine? I got plenty of stuff. All you need is sand.

Jason, would you add a picture of your tank here? Once again thank you so much.

i would really like a rock like you have (on the right side of your tank) that has a tunnel thru the middle. i have been trying to find a good one, but im thinking the only way to get a rock you really want is to make it yourself!! would that be a start to your new method? :(

ill post pics of my rock wall soon

I would be happy to work with you on making a rock with a hole in it. We could try them with the new method and the standard to see how they both fair.

Making rocks is actually a lot more complicated than making a wall, at least to make ones that look good. With a wall you really only have to make it look good from one or two angles. However, with a rock, it has to look good and natural from every angle. I made 15 or so and really only liked 3 or 4.

I would be happy to work with you on making a rock with a hole in it. We could try them with the new method and the standard to see how they both fair.

Making rocks is actually a lot more complicated than making a wall, at least to make ones that look good. With a wall you really only have to make it look good from one or two angles. However, with a rock, it has to look good and natural from every angle. I made 15 or so and really only liked 3 or 4.

oh yeah i remember you telling me that. well im still down to try it if you are.

Sounds good. Here are the supplies you will need.

Regular Mix: Portland Type 1 Cement, sand, oyster shell

New Mix: Hydralic cement

To make the hole, we will need a toilet paper roll or a kitchen towel roll. We will also need a large enough bin to make the rocks in and that can be sealed when done. We will need sand to use in the bottom of the bin to help shape the rock with

ok sounds good. where did you get your supplies? im not sure i have seen hydraulic cement at lowes. or oyster shell

Corey, I have plenty of oyster shells and Portland mix. I will help with finding the hydraulic cement (ask the neighbor). Want to do this at my house?

I know we can get sugar sand from Prof.

Jason are we still up for the rocks thoughts you have for my tank?

Let me see where I can find the hydraulic cement and maybe we could do it next this coming weekend but the weekend after next. After next weekend anytime is fine with me. We could also do a thread and invite others you want. How does that sound?

Theresa... This is beautiful!!!! Jason...Theresa has spoken very highly of you and your expertise.... Your tank is gorgeous.

Theresa...I am still planning on coming over ....I am so sorry I missed the meeting today... I would have loved to hang out with you...it was great talking to you tonight...I want to see your Red Sea Max and it's journey!!

You don't have to. I made my walls outside the tank using a mold I made. So my walls can easily be taken out. Theresa's wall was made into the tank, which did require laying the tank on it's side. Hers probably cannot be removed without a struggle and may require breaking it up.

weekends are bad for me unless were giong to do it at night after 830. i might be able to get sunday off tho.

we should definitely have a thread for it cause this whole process is getting popular right now and i know i needed all the info i could get my hands on