DIY Rock Wall Build

theresa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know if you can do a rock wall on the bottom of your tank? instead of having sand just cover the bottom in the "rock wall" material" that way it looks better than a bare bottom but without all of the negatives of sand

i dont see why not. but how are you going to do that with manatee grass? :)

ohh you just wait and see........

Actually im stuck between doing a total rock tank (no sand, and rock on all glass surfaces except the front and one side) or do a sea grass tank with a small rock island in the middle with a couple of coral on it. essentially a saltwater version of a planted tank. but i have plenty of time to think about it as i wont do it until i move.

Here's the 144 half circle I did and then an 85g frag display tank with foam on the bottom and back:

img1252224599602.jpg

6922_1042234112203_1716090084_81106_6326419_n.jpg

4526851338_a86c78e009.jpg

85g along with a schematic:4730594360_e65c529e8e_b.jpg

4848123963_240af34781.jpg

one important thing I do is first put silicone down so that the foam seals longterm, just apply the foam to the silicone while it's still wet. I also distress the foam so that it does not bubble up, makes for a much more natural look.

DSC05307.jpg

4875394119_f577d210ec_z.jpg

sand and foam bottom

5038703429_8e97fcba2f.jpg

5165884948_f2723be741.jpg

5267202491_f4141a60eb_z.jpg

Sold the 144 on a recent move, still have the 85g, just set that one up a few months ago. It's my personal tank but it's currently being used for my business, but I won't mention more until we become sponsors.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

i have been thinking about what i want to do as far as attaching my rock wall for my new tank. then i thought about using magnets and how i could use them. i figure i could wrp them in something or even put them in a plastic baggie so they dont rust. what do you guys think of this? if i did this, i could tke the wall out and clean behind it if needed. and this will also be easier when moving the tank in the future.

I don't think that is good to do. Why can't you use aqua silicone? Put the rock wall in the tank then seal around it. Seems like you would not need to clean behind it if it is sealed good.

I don't think that is good to do. Why can't you use aqua silicone? Put the rock wall in the tank then seal around it. Seems like you would not need to clean behind it if it is sealed good.

that is true, but you know how porous that rock is. i would think smaller animals could fit thru some of the holes that i may have accidentally not filled. i might just have to make sure i dont do that :) i wonder how thick i could make the wall? i want to make it thicker than the one you made, but im not sure how it would hold up..

I think a thicker wall would hold up fine, if not better. You could always add a little bit more concrete to the mix to ensure strength, but I really wouldn't be concerned. I also wouldnt be concerned with animals getting behind it.

i already had 2 fish try to get behind my rock wall through the smallest holes i missed when filling them in initially. granted the holes are probably a lot bigger than any of the holes in the concrete. good thinking guys.

well i finally got my 40 breeder (thanks Jurgy!) and im excited to get this thing on the road!

yea i am :D im just trying to figure out if i want to make it an all-in-one again or something else. im thinkinh a small compartment on the back wall that i can put my skimmer.

what do you guys think.. should i put my mp10 on the back wall facing forward or on the side?