Marineland Heaters (Finally) Recalled

Thos

they have put a stop sale on these heaters. mine blew up yesturday blew out the side of my sump tank i lost 45 gallans of water on the spot. These heaters are full of copper which is no all over my tank my skimmer my lines everything. I am now in claims with marine land and im loosing live stock. had to buy a new sump my new carpet is ruined. also my 150 pounds of live rock has copper all over it. If you have ths heater take it out now..

I had one shock the crap out of me a couple years ago. Marineland was nice enough to replace it for free, after they proceeded to tell me that it was a voltage leak and wasn't dangerous. Measured a full 120 line voltage across a 48" freshwater tank. So nice of them...

Just wondering if anybody has heard about this or actually replaced their Marineland heater. When you go to look at heaters on Marineland's website, they no longer show up. Kind of glad I swapped mine out recently.

I pulled mine out right away. Gary, at the dome, checked up on it for me just to be sure it included the newer models so I didn't buy a new one for nothing (thank you Gary!), and they are recalled. Haven't figured out what to replace it with yet. The nicer ones I've looked at appear to be the same as the stealth ones, just a different brand. I need to keep looking though.

so i have an old glass marineland and the new thermoplastic black heater. I have never used them by themselves, I mean they are plugged into my reefkeeper and it turns them off and on so there is NO issue of overheating. I turned the temp dial all the way up on heater and set the reefkeeper to turn them off and on. As of today i havent had any issues. Dont know if that is the issue but it has worked for me.

Jeremy,

I believe the recall only applies to the newer stealth pro models. I have an old stealth model that has been running for 3-4 years without problem. I'm not sure at what point the pro models came out, or even if all of them are bad or only just a certain date range of manufacture. I suppose the notice above could explain some of that but I haven't looked closely to decipher it.

Edit:

I merged the two topics dealing with this problem, so if it seems a bit convoluted, that's why!

I sure hope they cover everything... Thanks for letting us know as soon as this happened. You may have saved one of us from the same situation. Thankfully I replaced my heater without incident. Please keep us posted...

Well I sent in my claim for the corals I lost new sump,skimmer,190lbs of fiji rock, 4bags of black live sand. Oh and 200 gallons of water. Hopefully I will get everything.

Just curious...is there an alternative to a heater?

That's sad for the tank loss.

On another note, you've all seen me say again and again that heaters are not worth the risk. They fail all to often in catastrophic ways.

Yep.. just plain not using one :gun: I took mine out a few months ago from my 75g and everything has been quite happy. caferacermike has been running heaterless for a very long time.