Thoughts on HOT refugium

KimP

I have been debating getting one of these for my tank for quite a long time now. Is this a dumb idea? I've read about all I can find about the CPR ones online and the only bad thing I've been able to find is that if you put a DSB in them, the part that holds it on your tank can break from the weight. My tank is only a 47 gal tall and there is a ridiculously small amount of room in the stand (seriously), so I don't have a sump. Also, I've read all about making one out of a HOB filter, which I have 2 large ones sitting in the garage, but I was thinking of the CPR ones because it'll look better since it'll be hanging off the side of my tank right in the livingroom. It'll be sort of a display refugium. One last thing, I was wondering if it'll be heavy and possibly break the glass hanging off the top of the side like that. That might be silly, but figured I'd ask :(.

Any thoughts? Anybody have experience with these?

I've got the large Aquafuge on my 55gal w/ no sump. I've been happy with it so far, it grows chaeto and pods like crazy.

Can't say that I've seen a huge difference in the DT from it, but I know that the Chaeto has to be pulling lots of nitrates, and its an awesome safe breeding ground for the pods that my target mandarin needs.

However, I only paid 30$ for a used one including the pump, and got my light for only $15, so it was a small investment. I don't know that I would feel it was worth the $175+ they go for brand new without a light.

Hi Kim,

I run a variety of hob fuges on my nanos. I have and use two of the CPR style (not sure the actual brands) on two separate tanks. Both have DSBs with a variety of macro being grown. One also has 2 mangroves. They have worked very well for me. I will say that on these two I do have supports built under them to take much of the weight. Like you I was concerned with the weight.

I also run AC 50s and an AC70 on other tanks. These have been converted by either swapping the impeller for one from an AC20, or by cutting the stock impeller down to reduce overall flow. These generally run just chaeto and a mangrove. I like to keep them happy because the also work as a nice temporary storage area for corals requiring constant current.

Kim,

I used a Hagan HOB filter on a 75G without a sump for years. I removed all the filter media and used the large volumn for a rubble refugium. It worked well with numerous copepods and amphipods. Even after I modified the setup to include a refugium I contined to use the Hagan HOB. It cost around $50 new and circulates about 500 GPH.

Patrick

The CPR ones are good quality and should work well. I would look for a used one here on ARC or ebay or one of the other online forums. I was able to pick up an AF2 for about $50 with a nearly new rio pump and a t5 light. I'm running with rubble and macroalgae. I've heard mixed results about running any sand in them at all. Since they aren't extremely large, a DSB may have no benefit even if it is setup and maintained properly. If it helps to grow pods and other critters it may be worthwhile to put a shallow bed in there for that. Just a matter of opinion and the potential risk you want to take with a mobile DSB.

I also have a 47g Tall and in the process of converting my seaclone HOB skimmer into a mini refugium. Check this page for info http://www.wetwebmedia.com/seacloneskimfaqs.htm

In the stand I use a tiny 1 1/2 gallon waste basket for my ATO.

BTW, what are you using for lighting? I'm always curious since our tanks are very deep what others use.

I have a large CPR refugium (with skimmer) on the back of my 75g. Overall I have been happy with it. I have the mud, some small pieces of live rock, and a ball of cheato in it. The ball varies in size depending on how many extra nutrients I am generating in the main tank (i.e. when I get heavy handed in feeding, it starts to grow ... if I ignore the tank for a while, it shrinks).

The biggest plus for me is it acting like a sump when I need to catch and temporarily store a fish. The refugium, along with another CPR skimmer, are my only "filtration" on the tank. I have no sump other-wise.

The one bad thing I have noticed is it is a breeding ground for aptasia's, but they don't seem to make it to the main tank ... I guess I need to through some peppermints back there.

I've got an AC70 which was converted to be a fuge for my 7.5G tank. it worked well, but I don't see one that small being much of a benefit in a tank over 20G. Yes it can grow chaeto and help spawn pods, but it's a relatively small space compared to a larger tank, and I think having some extra volume would be a good thing. That said, I got the filter for around $25, not $100+ like most dedicated HOB fuges go for. At that kind of pricetag, I'd go with the benefits of a sump and just get an overflow box.

Wow, thank you so much for all the responses! For one, I somehow missed the fact that there are clear hob filters! I've had aquariums (freshwater) for 12 or so years and have only seen or used black ones. I will look into those as a possibility. The main reason I was looking into getting a refugium is to add at least a little extra water volume, but mainly to grow macros, pods, and have a place to put a fish or coral temporarily if needed, and also for the learning experience. So it doesn't sound like there's really any reason not to, which is great. I will start looking for a used one while I make sure it won't drive me crazy to not be able to see into the upper part of that side of my tank. One more thing, if there are all these pods multiplying in the refugium, how do they get into the DT? Do they just float on over with the current, or do you have to get them over yourself?

Thank you :wacko:

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic109957-11-1.aspx#bm109961

For the long range success of your captive reef, you must feed the inhabitants and provide multiple nutriant pathways. In the attached link Dr Ron talks about feeding the display tank with a refugium, the larger the better. I remember going to a MACNA Conference in Pittsburg where Daniel Knopp made a 2 hour presentation on the micro-inverts which inhabite mature refugiums. I can not over emphasis how easy this type of natural nitrate reduction works in DSB, Jaubert Plenumns or live rock. I apply all three which use faulative bacteria. Macros are another nutriant recycling. I have used skimmers for ten years, but have been skimmerless for the last 20 years. If you like multiple types of filter feeders and numerous pods to feed your horses, I highly recommend this type of system. The macros which I grow in my refugium are ediable to the fish. Also because I like to eat seaweed, I grow Gracilaria Parvispora. In the marine ornamental trade it is often called Tang Heaven Red. In the world of seaweed eaters, it is known as Red Ogo.

Patrick