Help me pick out a fish (or 2) for my seahorse tank

KimP

I have been looking at fish to add to my seahorse tank for some time now. This will be the first saltwater fish I've ever bought besides the horses. I have my QT tank all ready to go, I just need the fish. I am looking for something small, my tank is 47 gal and skinny & tall, something that doesn't hide all day, and is reef safe. This is mainly for my 14 mo old son as he loves fish but I doubt he even notices the horses :). That's why I am looking for something that doesn't spend all day hiding. So far I'm interested in blue-eyed cardinals, possibly getting 3, or maybe one PJ cardinal and a goby that stays low in the tank. Any thoughts on these? Bangaii cardinals are neat too. My tank is about 1/2 uncovered so a firefish or dartfish wouldn't work, though I like those too. I've researched several of these fish, but any site that is selling them all seem to make them sound so easy and great for any conditions, so personal experience would be great here! I have great water params, my tank's been running for almost 3yrs, my main rock is a large holey rock with lots of hiding places, and I can handle feeding any common food. The horses get mysis a couple times a day already. Feel free to mention any fish you think would be colorful and fit the requirements that I might not know about.

Thanks!

A tailspot blenny would be cool, blennies tend to have the most personality IMHO, and they eat algae so would contribute to the clean-up crew. Might be a little small in a 47 so you'd want to augment with something else if you're looking for movement and fish swimming about.

Kim,

Your idea of the cardinal family is a good one. They are a good dither fish. They are comfortable in schools of three or more in open water. I have kept most of the species in the group and liked them all. I seem to remember one that had a red ring around the eye.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Well except for the green moray "pipefish" one lol :P I went on over to aquadome this afternoon and unfortunately they didn't have any of these except for a couple of blue-eyed and PJ cardinals, but not enough of each. Hopefully they'll get more in soon! The only fish I came home with was a betta - don't laugh, I got it to put on our dr table for the baby :) Subsea, about the PJ cardinals, you don't think 3 of these would be too much? AD had 2 pretty small ones and one big one and the big one was pretty big. I do like them. Also I would love to have a mandarin but don't feel like I could properly care for it with the horses hunting pods all day. Can they live long and be healthy on a diet of mysis (if I could get one to eat it)?. Keep the suggestions coming if anyone thinks of something else :)

Oh, and I have to report, aquadome was setting up the new coral tanks today!! So excited about that!! Hopefully they'll start filling em up next week, they look great :D

if you have LR piled up in a corner where nothing can get to it to eat off of them the pods will keep reproducing.... also if you have a sump throw them in there they will reproduce and rotate out some of the LR so you keep pods in the tank and some growing safely where they cant be ate. I have some LR in my 90s sump and I just grab a piece of that and put it in the other tank when its dark so they dont eat all the pods at once... thats what I do... seems to keep my Mandis happy (dont have any ponies yet)