Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

JamesL

So I just saw the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix in a magazine today. I like that it has elevated ca/mg in it ... because even though I can be bad at water changes, I am even worse at dosing.

Anyone using it? Thinking about getting a bucket of it to try, as my current bucket of Red Sea Pro is almost out.

I use the coral pro... not exactly sure what my last bucket ran, but every time i mix up a new batch now the pH is a bit low. RODI is reading 0ppm, but pH is coming out around 7.8 for a freshly mixed batch... so I've been mixing in a buffer as well to try to keep my tank around 8.2. Seems silly that I have to do that though....

If by residue you mean sort of gray crunchy bits on the mixing bucket and pump, yes this salt has that problem. Sometimes the water is rather cloudy when beginning to mix, but i've never had a problem with that or undissolved sediment if it mixes overnight.

I use the coral pro... not exactly sure what my last bucket ran, but every time i mix up a new batch now the pH is a bit low. RODI is reading 0ppm, but pH is coming out around 7.8 for a freshly mixed batch... so I've been mixing in a buffer as well to try to keep my tank around 8.2. Seems silly that I have to do that though....

If by residue you mean sort of gray crunchy bits on the mixing bucket and pump, yes this salt has that problem. Sometimes the water is rather cloudy when beginning to mix, but i've never had a problem with that or undissolved sediment if it mixes overnight.

Forget about the pH thing man! It's not that important:

I also experienced cloudy water once I put the mixed saltwater into my tank. I tried filtering the new salt mix through a filter sock, but that didn't help.

I just went through my first bucket w/o residue. I mix 3 cups every fifteen minutes until I reach the amount needed. Then fix for 24 to 48 hours, no residue.

I also chased the magic numbers for years and my tank suffered for it. Constituency = happy tank!

I just went through my first bucket w/o residue. I mix 3 cups every fifteen minutes until I reach the amount needed. Then fix for 24 to 48 hours, no residue.

that might have been my problem. I'd dump most of the salt I'd use in the bucket all at once. I don't see how that'd make a difference tho, but lots of stuff in this hobby is a mystery.

@DaJ; I agree with the low pH but I never did anything about it personally. I find that stability, and my tank runs around 7.8-7.9, is more important than hitting some supposed perfect number.

Yeah, I suppose.... but I was having problems. Lost a couple of small SPS frags very gradually and had a little tissue recession on some of the larger ones. Couldn't really put my finger on the problem because I was keeping up with the water changes and my alk was registering fine... so I started adding the buffer (which also raises alk slightly) and it fixed the problem along with raising the pH.

There is a chance that it is related to low alkalinity... I suspect my test kit is old, not in my possession but API kits don't have expiration dates and it's always run a little high, which is supposed to be in line with an aging test kit. Still... I've never had alk or calcium problems to my knowledge (and red sea coral pro has relatively high starting numbers), and the buffer and pH increase did yield me some success.