options for leveling a stand

lewk

Ok...question for you guys. I got a used 135 from someone breaking down their tank here and have had it sitting in my garage until I was ready to use it. Got it ready to go, brought it in the house, put it on the stand and noticed there is a gap along the front top rail, about 1/8th of an inch at it's biggest point. It probably runs a good 4 feet of the length of the tank, and gets smaller towards the ends. What are my options to get this shimmed? Or do I have to scrap the stand and start over. It's the standard Oceanic oak stand if that helps for a frame of reference.

I tried putting in about 20 gallons of water to see if it would level out once there was some weight in the tank, but it hasn't budged and I'm too nervous to keep filling this thing until there isn't a gap.

I've read somewhere to put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood across the top, and shim underneath that, then put the tank on top. Or could I even use 1/2 inch?

Someone else mentioned using water putty.

Any ideas?

definitely dont keep filling it because you will crack the bottom glass. and for a 135, i would go with 3/4" still because that is a lot of weight, since it is such a massive amount of water and money were talking about here, i would not go cheap. there is always a way to cover up the edge of the ply wood.

never heard of water putty tho. what is that?

Here is a suggestion:

Drain the tank.

Remove the tank from the stand and use a 36-48" level to see if the top of the stand is flat.  Level the stand.

Place the tank on the stand.  If the tank is warped, you'll see that with it sitting on the stand.

If the tank is warped, I don't have a reliable suggestion.  Could probably use some neoprene foam like floor mat material to fill the void under the tank, but risky after water and live rock goes in.

Sorry to hear of your recent tank surprise,

Mike

I'm pretty sure it's the top brace that's bowing. Probably have to just suck it up and get a new stand. Oh well. Just ran a 4 ft level across the front and the wood wasn't in line with the level.

And not real sure what water putty is, just saw someone mentioning it on RC.

Maybe this is something else but I thought you were suppose to use styrofoam for something like that. Get a big piece like they use for insulation 3/4-1" thick, cut it the size of your tank, paint edges if desired, and put the tank on the styrofoam.

Bill

Maybe this is something else but I thought you were suppose to use styrofoam for something like that. Get a big piece like they use for insulation 3/4-1" thick, cut it the size of your tank, paint edges if desired, and put the tank on the styrofoam.

Bill

that sounds like a good idea. we sell that Styrofoam at Lowes in the lumber area (insulation)

Foam. Its cheap and easy....

Get the pink stuff from HD or Lowes. 3/4" it comes in 8x4 sections. Tell them you will take a messed up one(that will still work for your application of course) and they will even give you a discount.