Fun with nems

Gonzobob

Thanks everyone,

These are all in my uber nano :) and will be until I get the 40 setup (hopefully in the next 3 weeks)

Currently in the tank I have mini carpets, mini maxis and hellfire nems (Actinodendron). The hellfires have been splitting regularly the others split occasionally.

James,

When I move things to the 40 I'm planning on pulling a few minis for some people who've asked. If you'd like I'll set one aside for you.

I'd be interested in one if you pull some. I love the one I've got in my biocube right now.

Sure Mike, I'll put you on the list.

Theresa,

Depends on who you ask. I've had no trouble with them other than occasional wandering. These in particular are at the top of the tank under a single 150w 15k metal halide. I have others I keep in lower light but make up for it with more frequent target feeding.

I'm shocked you were able to keep the Hellsfire. I was attempting to purchase a solid black one once and when the lfs employee picked it up, it suddenly separated into a mess of nem. He tried picking up others and they all just broke up into pieces.

Where are your carnation anemones? I haven't seen anyone try to keep any. I got one in SA once but after about 3 weeks it decided it wanted to live in my powerhead.

Hey Mike,

There are two types of nems called hellsfire. The Actinodendron which I have (pic below with clown) and the other variety I don't have the Latin name for at hand. The ones I have I've had little trouble with except for stinging or killing the occasional coral.

post-811-044778400 1284221556_thumb.jpg

post-811-025283100 1284221388_thumb.jpg

Hmm, I never heard of them falling apart like that but to be fair online information about either type of hells fire is pretty sparce. I’ve seen pictures of them with different colors but I’ve got the only ones I’ve seen in person.

The other hells fire nems I’ve seen for sale online and been tempted but as I understand they are not at all reef safe as they are extremely potent confirmed fish eaters and in at least a couple reports they do not get along with other nems. Given that information I figure these can wait till I’m ready to setup a 12 or 14 gallon species tank for one, if ever.

• 2 months later...