My 210g build

afgun

Can't see anything in the tank right now... added 100 lbs of sugar fine sand to the DSB in the refugium, and about 50 pounds of LRR above it. Tossed in a couple of frozen shrimp to start the cycling of the rock wall, LRR and sand! Lights are now out while we cycle...

Scooped out a bunch of "sand foam". Tomorrow the new bubble blaster pump for our skimmer should arrive, so I hope to have it running in the evening. Nothing worth seeing so no pics today!

Looks great Andrew. Andy came by and took some measurements for my stand, still debating on what to do with it. Can you take some additional pictures of the benthic zone? I may run a dsb in a bucket in my sump but I'm debating on how to run it. May try and do a cryptic zone in a bucket instead.

Solid work!

If you have one laying around, run a HOB filter full of fine filter material to help clear the sand storm...

Unfortuntely, I don't. So I'm thinking about picking up some filter socks today and attaching them to the drains in my sump. Think that'll help?

Looks great Andrew. Andy came by and took some measurements for my stand, still debating on what to do with it. Can you take some additional pictures of the benthic zone? I may run a dsb in a bucket in my sump but I'm debating on how to run it. May try and do a cryptic zone in a bucket instead.

Still not much to see... when the dust clears I will definitely do so for you though.

Can you take some additional pictures of the benthic zone? I may run a dsb in a bucket in my sump but I'm debating on how to run it. May try and do a cryptic zone in a bucket instead.

Here's my zone. Approx 6" of RDSB, 6" of benthic zone (with eggcrate for tunicates et al to attach to), 6" of LRR (when I'm done) for a 'pod home and then 4-6" of space for macro algae to grow. Crazy? Yes I am!

post-1093-0-17154300-1297810529_thumb.jp

There are a couple pieces of live rock to-be on top of the LRR, which might be confusing. They'll move to the main tank after we get a sand bed in it.

I picked up the Bubble Blaster 3000 yesterday. Plumbed it in today and squeeeeeeeeeezed the skimmer into the sump. When I fired it up... WOW that thing puts out the air! Now I need to get a valve and make a silencer for it. I don't know if it will be worth the effort to convert to recirc... it looks to me like it will do a fabulous job without.

The test kit that I bought doesn't have ammonia... doh, what an oversight. So I'll head out to the store this evening to pick one up. A nitrite test today showed 0, but I'm not really surprised as the 2 shrimp we dropped in the sump only disintegrated today. I also forgot that I had bought some stability, so I started dosing it today.

I am going to order up a couple of bulbs for the Pacific Sun fixture. My RODI booster pump should arrive by the weekend, so I'll have a little fun setting that up. Otherwise, things are basically in a wait mode now until the tank cycles...

The booster pump arrived yesterday; unfortunately the mounting bracket was damaged in shipping

post-1093-0-58120000-1298049062_thumb.jp

So... have to wait and see how BRS wants to address this before installing it and making more RODI. I got an ammonia test kit yesterday and it shows between .1 and .25... nothing on nitrites yet. Going pretty slowly, so I think I'm going to dose household ammonia to kickstart the tank. It's off to the grocery store today!

Updates!

BRS is sending a new pump. Should be here in the next couple of days.

Frustrated with my high TDS after adding the piggyback RO cartridge and watching rejection rate basically go to 0, I determined that both membranes are somehow shot now :) Testing one cartridge at a time confirms the results. However, the good folks at BFS are now taking care of me, and are MUCH more helpful than my old RODI supplier, including talking to me after-hours and shipping my system that same day! New system will hopefully be here by the end of the week.

Dosed household ammonia up to 2ppm and daily dosing of bacteria. Still waiting for it to drop... I'm just anxious I guess.

Next projects:

Connect pump to drain for semi-automated water changes

Acquire/build tank for ATO to be mounted in stand above sump

• 3 weeks later...

That's the plan; the dust from the live sand will hopefully settle today or tomorrow... pics coming soon! We have counted at least 4 snails and an urchin that hitchhiked with the sand so far...

Aaaaaaaaand rookie mistake on my part (filter sock hung over edge of sump) allowed untold gallons of water to quietly spill out of the tank today. I am just glad that I heard the auto-topoff filling the reservoir for much longer than it should have and investigated. Thank goodness my wife had a steam-vac; I have been using it for hours to dry the carpet. I have to throw in the towel for tonight though as my back is killing me. Back at it tomorrow in the am to get any straggling moisture out of the carpet. The fan will have to do for tonight...

Any recommendations on a water alarm for my watertight (but overflowed!) stand?

--andrew

I was only able to get a tiny additional amount of water out of the carpet today, so I'm just going to keep running the fan and crossing my fingers.

As promised, here are a couple of photos. We found a fair number of different kinds of snails and a sea urchin that hitchhiked with the sand!

post-1093-0-18709600-1300556521_thumb.jp post-1093-0-68976500-1300556509_thumb.jp

The only Southwest direct flight from TPA to AUS today had its cargo booked, so we're crossing our fingers that they'll find room for cargo soon and bring us the rock.

Edited by afgun

First batch of rock arrived! No aquascaping has been done yet as we just finished cleaning up after going through the rock and placing it in the tank...

First of all, we have another sea urchin hitchhiking in... looks like the same kind as in the sand

post-1093-0-81769500-1300763248_thumb.jp

We found this crab, and aren't sure if we should put it in the tank or not... advice? It has some markings like it might be a young porcelain crab, but we are a bit wary. ID?

post-1093-0-77009800-1300763297_thumb.jp

We were quite surprised to find a fish had secreted himself in a rock; we didn't notice him as we cleaned the rocks in 2 separate buckets of saltwater!

post-1093-0-24359400-1300763341_thumb.jppost-1093-0-23666200-1300763351_thumb.jp

And I know you've been waiting for a full-tank shot... here you go, in the dark under the lights. Remember, no aquascaping yet. Lots of color, a TON of sponges. Very nice looking rock!

post-1093-0-09062900-1300763400_thumb.jp

Thoughts?

There was a lot of water in each bag; the rocks were largely submerged. We did the "sniff test" and only found a few small sponges that smelled bad enough to warrant scraping off.

Found us another hitchhiker... we hadn't discarded the bucket of water that I used to clean the rock in, and look what was hiding in the gunk at the bottom!

post-1093-0-68172000-1300898311_thumb.jp

It's hairy, which we think means bad, so he's living in the sump right now. Ideas on what he might be?