What is this?

Melissa

+1 for Majano Anemones. They're a very invasive species and, unless you want them to take over your tank, I'd nip them in the bud. I also agree that they can be quite beautiful, but they'll overrun most of your corals.

Well that kind of sucks. I bought it some type of long tentacle leather or something. At night the tentacles go back into the base, and it looks a lot like the picture I attached. Mine is mounted mounted on a rock with some zoas of some sort, and the tentacle have little flowers at the end, when fully out.

post-1346-012115600 1282335050_thumb.jpg

post-1346-092310100 1282335067_thumb.jpg

hey melissa, it does not look like any leather i am familiar with. if it has a more open state, that pic may help, but right now i would say 99.9% mojano, and either put it in the sump/fuge, kill it, or make a species only setup for it.

When I look up the Mojano, i see this for examples. Are their multiple types?

Yes. Take it from Gabe... I'd be safe and get it out. I believe he had to take down one of his tanks due to an infestation of Majanos.

I have seen some that were more gorgeous than some of the LE paly's going around, but i never dared to keep them due to the PROBLEM they can cause.

Put it in a glass box. >:P

Actually, I wouldn't mind setting up one of those small little tanks dedicated to some of these really pretty Majanos.

This doesn't have a mouth at all. It looks just like the 2nd pic in my 2nd post, thats a way better picture. The base is round like that, marble shaped and when all the tentacles go in, its smooth and shiny. I got it at one of the stores here, and there's a bunch that look the same way for sale. The tentacles don't shrivel like an anemone, they just go in the base.<br /><br /><br />    I think this is why I never ventured into FW planted tanks . Things I always thought were good, ended up being a PITA or a weed. Maybe I am just destined for keeping my clowns and nothing else, or maybe just live rock and my snail. sigh.

*at least I found three zoas on it.

. . . and the tentacle have little flowers at the end, when fully out.

I was going to vote +1 on a Mojano sp anemonie based on the first pictures you posted but if you are indeed seeing "little flowers" at the end of of each tenticle that sounds like a Sarcophyton sp Leather to me. I'd investigate more before tossing (although considering the size Sarcophyton's can get you may want to toss it now than trying to find a home for it when it outgrows your tank :P ).

&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;Try feeding it some frozen food.  If the food sticks to the tentacles, it is an anemone.  If it doesn't then a good chance the tentacles will retract and it is a leather.
Maybe I did something right. When I fed last night, I gave mysis to the my condy anemone, which is an experiment. I turned all my stuff off, and it did its normal thing. But I guess since I was thinking this thing is a leather, I fed it Kent Phytoplex. It didn't really do anything but close its flowers,the tentacles stayed out. When I touched it, it doesn't stick to my finger like the condy does. I turned all the pumps back on and the flowers reopened a few minutes afterward. I don't want to throw anything out just yet, as I just got them on Wednesday, and for them to be open in MY tank, well that's a feat in itself. This is the first time something has gone right in my tank, and I hate to think it's just a nuisance. If it is, then I will get rid of it.

I have seen some that were more gorgeous than some of the LE paly's going around, but i never dared to keep them due to the PROBLEM they can cause.

Put it in a glass box. >:P

Actually, I wouldn't mind setting up one of those small little tanks dedicated to some of these really pretty Majanos.

i have considered it many times

I am with everyone else. if it has polyp like "things" on it's tentacles, not a mojano. it is a leather. but the first pics are hard to tell.

Edited by KaceyJ