Dr. Pepper smell

dapettit

I put this here because I'm designing a salt mixing barrel for our 58 gallon. . .

WayneB gave me a 15 gallon container he picked up from the Coca-Cola Bottling Company here in Austin. I've had for several months letting it soak in Clorex then in white vinegar. I still have a strong smell of Dr. Pepper. I'm afraid to use it. Is this something to worry about if should I try something else?

TIA,

Dave-

I put this here because I'm designing a salt mixing barrel for our 58 gallon. . .

WayneB gave me a 15 gallon container he picked up from the Coca-Cola Bottling Company here in Austin. I've had for several months letting it soak in Clorex then in white vinegar. I still have a strong smell of Dr. Pepper. I'm afraid to use it. Is this something to worry about if should I try something else?

TIA,

Dave-

If it would leach sucrose/sugar into your water....that would be bad.

its probably not sugar, but the arenes* associated with the doctor pepper flavor and taste, they still could be used as a carbon source though.

however i doubt that it is concentrated enough to cause any huge harm.

TIA,

Dave-

Dave- sorry, I have checked the other three (plus the 2 30s) I still have and none have an oder. After I gave the one to you, I rinsed the others out a few more times in vinegar/water and then flushed them one last time with tap water. Refilled them with tap water and allowed them to sit outside for a couple of weeks without the caps. Emptied them, flush them with 5 gal of RO water each and am letting them sit outside until I need them.

wayneb

I"d fill them with RODI and let them sit a while.

Why?

Since RO/DI is basically 100% pure water, and therefore has nothing dissolved in it, it will suck up anything water soluble in the barell.

dump out the water and you should be good to go.

I have a barrel from the Coke Bottling Plant. It smells like Coke. I rinsed it out like 4 times with RO/DI water. Eventually I just said screw it and filled it up and started using it. I haven't had any problems.

I've used the ro/di water letting it set for 2 weeks with a power head in it. I think I'm going to go ahead and use it.

Funny thing is I didn't have this problem with the barrels I got from Austin Homebrew. . .

+1 for PROF, that what i did to the barrell i gave u, Go to AHBrew and get a cleaner, it comes in a pouch, put the whole thing in there And fill it with water,swirl around and let sit then hose it out, it will smell BRAND NEW

however i doubt that it is concentrated enough to cause any huge harm.

+1 Gotta put my two cents in, if you've tried bleach, an alkali, then go to the other end and try muratic acid.

The ones I got from Craigslist were old Dr. Pepper barrels and smelled strongly. I filled them 1/3 full, put in a cup of bleach, capped them, and then rolled them around on the driveway for about 15 mins. Then I left them sitting in the sun, closed, for a week.

When I emptied them I rinsed them out. Occasionally I get the smell of DP still, but I've been using them no problem.