Tank Placement near stereo /home theater equipment

Mad Reefer

Hello all,

I am new to ARC and reefing. I just bought a complete system from the for sale section on this forum. I plan to move the tank this weekend. The location I have chosen happens to be right next to my big screen TV and all of my stereo equipment/home theater equipment/ Wii. Should i be worried about the stereo equipment?

Not so much about the potential leak or spill, but just being so close to a salt water source. Could I be asking for corrosion problems? any experience here, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice

-Mad Reefer

:cool:

Aside from the fact that you generally don't want an aquarium near other expensive electronic equipment. The only concern I would have is that the aquarium may be on the same electric circuit as you other equipment. Due to the high electrical demands of todays aquarium lighting I would recommend that it is on it's own circuit not shared with a lot of other devices.

Best of luck and welcome to ARC.

Thanks!

I can't believe i overlooked the poor little fishies. I really hadnt thought of that. But, alas, my loud music playing days are over and most of my loud movie watching is done late night through headphones, so I thing they wont be stressed.

I would say it is a definite possibility. What I would worry about more is the fish. They are very sensitive to vibrations, so if you watch movies at a loud volume often they may get stressed.

thanks!,

Wow, I hadnt considered that either. I can make sure they dont share the same outlet but i will have to check to see that the outlets are ties to different fuses.

and thank you for the "welcome"

Aside from the fact that you generally don't want an aquarium near other expensive electronic equipment. The only concern I would have is that the aquarium may be on the same electric circuit as you other equipment. Due to the high electrical demands of todays aquarium lighting I would recommend that it is on it's own circuit not shared with a lot of other devices.

Best of luck and welcome to ARC.

Depending on how big ur the is and how much all equiment is on may put out some good heat which if too close to the tank may make the temp rise some. But nothing a couple fans can't fix. I also agree with mooric that's a lot of stuff for one circuit.

I wouldn't worry about fish stress. My tank is against the wall in the larger of my two living rooms right in the center of my house. That wall backs up to my boys room & noise. I have 4 kids and they have friends over all the time. We also have a zoo. Needless to say, it is NEVER quiet in my house! The tank is also by the front door.

My theory is that like any other critter, fish get used to what is 'normal' in their environment barring something causing direct physical irritation (an aggressive fish, poor quality water, dangerous equipment, etc). My fish are unconcerned by the chaos around them. They do however swim to the surface and beg if anyone stops in front of the tank for more than a few seconds. Rotten fish. :cool:

My favorite (and I can't believe I'm saying this) is my tomato clown that lives in my sump. Normally the doors are closed. When I open them she swims over and 'clowns' around for attention. She is such a personable fish, even though she is a mean evil rotten no good beat up my helpless little ocellaris bully (hence banishment to the sump)!

I am kind of leaning both ways on this issue. I don't think you should have your home theater and tank on the same circuit. I also believe that the fish are not affected as much by the vibration of a home theater. My tank is at the back of my theater and I haven't seen any ill effects on my fish. Plus, there are plenty of things that cause vibrations in and around my tank.(Skimmer, powerheads, wave maker)

Welcome to the addiction.

I have a 150 on the left side of the entertainment center and a 58 on the right. I have no problem with any kind of corrosion but I due keep the electronics pristine. I also believe the type and amount of ventilation is in the room.

I also have a seahorse tank on the end table that my subwoofer is placed. Seahorse a real sensitive to vibrations but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Oh I should mention have the two larger tanks each on their own circuit.