Anemone First Aid?

Daisy82

So I've had a GBTA for the last four months or so. Got back from vacation, and he was gone - just disappeared. I figured he got caught in a powerhead and dissolved over time. That was over three weeks ago .... and I found the dummy yesterday in my overflow behind some pipes (NO idea how he even got in there - the slats are tiny). I put him back in his spot and he stuck for awhile, then crawled halfway under a rock. He doesn't look good at all - discolored, puny, white on the tips of his tentacles.

Is there anything I can do for him? My first inclination was to feed him alot, but I'm not sure. Do these guys bounce back easily, or are they pretty delicate?

And on another note, I got a RBTA a few days ago. Will they co-exist peacefully?

This is getting weirder.... I just found another GBTA stuck to the side my sump! With a plastic dosing fork stuck in his foot! (no idea how the fork ended up in the tank)

post-992-010478300 1274585490_thumb.jpg

This guy has been on a wild ride! Did the original nem get torn in half? Will they both survive? Did my clowns hire the cleaner shrimp as a hit man to get rid of the nem because they heard me calling them stupid because they wouldn't go near it !? The plot thickens....

post-992-029388300 1274585572_thumb.jpg

Just found in sump

post-992-062020700 1274585604_thumb.jpg

Hard to see, but look in the middle. Found in the overflow.

Interesting! And it makes sense - usually when I'm stressed I wish there were two of me! :)

Any opinions on whether or not this is too many anemones to keep in a 65 gal? Current count is two GBTA's and one small RBTA.

They are all BTAs so they will not battle. They can even butt right up to each other. They should be fine in a 65 but if you plan on or have SPS they might have a hard time. Running carbon on a regular basis can help with that though.

I inherited a nearly completely bleached out green bubble tip. I put it in my 90g with my RBTA and another GBTA and now 3 mos later it has regained it's color fully and is happy. They can regain their color and Zooxanthella, so just keep a close eye on them and spot feed them if possible (mysis or small pieces of silverside). Some people say they don't have to eat, but I find that especially if they've lost color that providing an alternate source of nourishment seems to help.

If you see either start to lose its guts out of the mouth then you should yank them immediately before they foul the tank. However, make sure that it's guts and not just waste, as feeding solid food will cause them to poop a lot. If you have any doubt which it is, wait a bit. Pooping is usually done within 30 minutes, entrails will hang out of an open mouth and stretch out further and further without retracting.