Where to find internal overflow boxes?

RotaryGeek

I have a eshopps 800 HOB overflow box, but have been really thinking about switching to an internal overflow box. Mainly becuase im tired of hearing the overflow box. I don't really have room to make a silencer like a Durso or Stockman, but i do have room for a Hofer Gurgle Buster. And it deoesn't work like they say it should. I want it to be dead silent. My problem is i don't know where i can buy a internal overflow box. I want a center one, but its a 46 bowfront and it has a center brace. So i guess im stuck with a corner overflow. I just don't know where to get one at. And then i have to drain the tank and drill it. That will be a pain, but its doable. Here is a pic so you can see what im working with. Not alot of corals, ended up losing a bunch when i moved it to my dads between my houses.

1032426.jpg

Its not that i don't want to. I seriously don't know where i can buy an internal overflow box and bulkheads from. I have searched sponsors sites on reefcentral, googled it, went through yahoo search, i just find tanks with them already in. I don't know where i can go to buy the internal overflow box.

So, what your are saying is you want your tank drilled. Correct?

In that case, your only option would be to drill the back glass as most bottoms are tempered. I'd contact the mfg to see if the back is first though.

But, since the tank is up and running, drilling the back will be difficult; not impossible but difficult. Ask Prof at Epic or Shane at Fishy Business what they might do.

so it doesnt have to be a box.... u can buy a piece of 8" or 10" PVC pipe(however tall ur tank is) in length. Cut it in half across the circle so that u have 2 halfs....Then just corrogate the top like u see all boxes with a dremmel. You could put either one in the end,center, or one on each end. If you dont like the white, take some paint or dye and make it black. Then just get some aquarium silicone and silicone it where u want it. The drilling depends on where u want the overflows. Bulk heads come with the MEGA-FLOW over flow and stand pipe. Maybe this will help.

Shane at Fishy business sells and installs them, he will drill the tank too. I think all of his tanks are drained this way. Personally I like these better than a traditionl over flow box, takes up much less room and they are very quiet.

I considered doing that on our new tank instead of traditional bottom draining overflows but it was going to take 12 of them and that isn't cost effective to do.

Why does it have to be centered or in the middle? Why not use the old "rule of thirds" and stick it left or right of center? If you give your dimensions to a local plastics shop they can build one for you. I don't see a difference in using "combs" or teeth across the top or leaving the top edge smooth. Grey PVC electrical conduit will work also instead of white. If you feel brave you can get drill bits here cheap

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/GroupList.aspx?CategoryID=154

Also, there is no way I'd drill a tank with water in it and very definitely make sure you're not drilling into tempered glass. Why not upgrade? A 60 gal has about the same footprint and once your corals get going that's what people notice, not whether you have a bowfront or not.

you can get everything you need including the hole saw and overflow box from www.glass-holes.com

Thank you, You exactly answered my question. It doesn't really have to be a complete top to bottom overflow box, but i do want the comfort of a drilled tank. I like my 46 bow just fine, till i run into some more money, I really can't forsee upgrading my tank yet. When i do finally order this kit, ill definetly be draining the tank completely to do it. I almost lost 2 fingers from a full tank busting on me, so i wont be screwing around with a tank with water in it.

I just installed the 1500 GPH overflow kit from glass-holes.com and I am very happy with how it turned out. If you want to see pics check out my build thread in the reefkeeping forum. It is the 100G rimless build.

Glass-holes.com was the only place I found as well... the nice thing with them is that it is a complete kit with drilling bit. They also have a $10 cover that gives it a nice, polished finish/look... I was concerned about drilling, but I contact the company, and they have a kit that prevents leaks with the drilling is not perfect... i haven't drilled mine yet but definitely interesting.

The only other option is to go through your LFS and custom order which is more expensive and still need to drill if the hole aren't there yet...