6700k Lighting From Home Depot

tmelhiser

I was at Home Depot earlier this evening looking at lighting for our yard.

While looking through the lights, one of the items I looked at caught my eye; 6700K coloration.

Hmmm... 27W PC bulb, already moisture resistant enclosure. This thing started to look like a good idea for under my tank in a little area I want to put together as a propagation area.

Anyone ever used one of these exterior landscape lights for under their tank?

Lights of America 27 Watt Flood Light

-t

The area it's going in is only 6x11x11 (LxWxH), a little over 3 gallons, so it's not powering much space.

At 27W, that's about 9w per gallon in the right spectrum.

Will 27W reach down 11 inches? I was planning on egg crate shelves anyway, so there is the ability to raise it a bit.

Thoughts?

The area it's going in is only 6x11x11 (LxWxH), a little over 3 gallons, so it's not powering much space.

At 27W, that's about 9w per gallon in the right spectrum.

Thoughts?

Ah I got'cha. It'll reach, but I'm not sure how powerful it'll be at 11"... you could get a PAR meter and measure.

What will you be propagating? SPS, LPS?

It's not going to grow SPS in the bottom half of the tank.... at least not quickly. The dissipation as it travels through water can often be pretty steep.

Why not go all out and get a similarly spectrum'd metal halide from home depot? They sell them as outdoor security floods, and while they're a bit more than that, you can get 50W or more versions, they usually have a few, for way less than a competing aquarium products.

It also may be worth looking into the cheaper nova extreme T5 fixtures. I've got an 18" 36W fixture over my main tank that was something like $45 from lnt.com

It's not going to grow SPS in the bottom half of the tank.... at least not quickly. The dissipation as it travels through water can often be pretty steep.

Why not go all out and get a similarly spectrum'd metal halide from home depot? They sell them as outdoor security floods, and while they're a bit more than that, you can get 50W or more versions, they usually have a few, for way less than a competing aquarium products.

It also may be worth looking into the cheaper nova extreme T5 fixtures. I've got an 18" 36W fixture over my main tank that was something like $45 from lnt.com

I really don't have room for an 18" fixture... and I don't really want to light the whole sump.

I would love to find a 12" wide light that would reach to the bottom of 11" of water.

This is the gereral layout of the sump.

post-665-12713487809626_thumb.png

LEDs sound like a good option except for price. You need high intensity in a relatively small area... but if your frag rack is only 6" wide maybe you can light that alone with the high powered stuff? I've got a jbj nano glow that would fit the size requirements, but at only 4W it's not really enough for SPS even in that small of an area. There are some other options though, and there are a number of relatively lower color temp 8-12W LED bulbs available (look for fewer LED numbers and a big heatsink) priced under $50 which use relatively standard light fixtures.