Green Hair Algae

dweyant

Ok,

I've been fighting with Green Hair Algae for a couple months now. Tried taking a toothbrush to it a few times, but it keeps coming back. Added a bunch of snails, a starfish.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

-Dan

Here is the method I am using, and have used in the past, to help reduce it.

Changed RODI filters.

Reduce feedings, avoid flake/pellets.

Manual removal. I pluck it out by the fingerfull and/or pull a rock out and go over it well.

Phosphate reactor.

Increased water changes.

I'm of the opinion that my rock/sand has absorbed alot of phosphates and are releasing them back out so it's a bit of a battle.

Have you tried 3 days of darkness with the tank swathed in sheets or towels? It doesn't cost anything and it can't hurt. What have you got to lose? You might want to check your phospates.

I've had some luck with the 3 days of darkness method.

A multipronged approach seems to be best.

Pluck, darkness, pluck, big water change, phosphate reactor. Also, if you have a fuge/sump, grow some macro in there to help starve the display of phosphates.

Is it Ok to do the three days of darkness thing with fish in the tank? I.e. it won't hurt the fish?

I am feeding mostly flake right now, what do you suggest instead of flake? I feed brine a couple times a week, but I know it isn't enough by itself (right?).

-Dan

I feel your pain but there is a very simple quick and cheap fix that doesn't require much effort on your part at all. Get a bottle of API Marine Algae Fix and follow the dirrections. Two weeks you'll be G.H.A. free! Make sure to remove carbon if running, the directions don't mention it but you need to.

This product works and is safe for everything in your tank except any green nusiance algae. It even kills bryopsis

I have never had much luck with Algae Fix. Three days of darkness will not hurt anything. Wrapping the glass with sheets or towels just intensifies the darkness effect by eliminating ambient light from windows and lamps. If your feeding every day, you might want to go to every other day. Feed sparingly.

even if you dont have a sump, get some macro algae and put it in your display tank!! starve the hair algae!! i have zero algae in my tank. never use tap water, only RO/DI water. its super cheap 5g=$1.00

and i also have macro algae (get some good looking stuff if you have to put it in your display). those 2 things and youre problem free pretty much. also, dont feed so many times a week. maybe 2 times a week.

On the macro algae there is a emergency order for reefs2go that goes out on friday. I just did a huge order of thier macro's and was very pleased with them. Comparable or better prices to anywhere else. I ordered 2-3 of almost everything they had in stock and waas pleased with all of my pieces.

On the macro algae there is a emergency order for reefs2go that goes out on friday. I just did a huge order of thier macro's and was very pleased with them. Comparable or better prices to anywhere else. I ordered 2-3 of almost everything they had in stock and waas pleased with all of my pieces.

thee ya go!!!! do that! :)

One other thing. My Ph has been quite low (about 7.8), I have been working on bringing it up using a Ph buffer that Shane sold me. I have it up to about 8.05 now still a little low I know, but moving in the right direction. Any chance the low Ph is contributing to the Algae problem?

All my other parms are quite good.

-Dan

Bulk Reef Supply's GFO reactors are the cream of the crop(except maybe Deltec). Two Little Fishies work well to for a bet less. I have BRS's dual reactor and love it. Plus, they are a sponsor. The GFO/GAC prices are hard to beat too.

I had forgot about the Algae Fix, have heard good and bad. My problem has gotten to the point that it will be my next attack.

For Dan, yes, cut back the lighting period. It will help. Not sure if the pH issue is part of the issue but I doubt it. And avoid the buffers.(I think someone addressed this in another thread.)

For Dan, yes, cut back the lighting period. It will help. Not sure if the pH issue is part of the issue but I doubt it. And avoid the buffers.(I think someone addressed this in another thread.)

How do you keep your Ph up if you don't use the buffers?

-Dan

How do you keep your Ph up if you don't use the buffers?

-Dan

Use a two part solution with Alk and CA. Add magnesium as needed.

I have been using 2 part since I got started due to some good advice and never had a PH problem as long as I tested regularly.

Also, your light period should depend on your lights. I run my 400W metal halides (overkill for my tank) for 8 hours a day. When I had PC lights I would run those 12 on/12Off. it just depends on how much light you have and how much you need.

Mr. SaltwaterTank....HELP! laugh.gif

Flake food on a daily basis is like pouring gravy on the GHA's steak. After you eliminate the GHA, feed flakes once or twice per week if you feel you must at all.

Thanks for the good info here! I'm new at this and would really prefer to stay away from additive products and keep the water as pure as possible. Any tips or links are much appreciated! One thing that bothers me sometimes about researching is that everyone has something to sell, and it's often hard to get an honest opinion of what works well, so I tend to stay away from most of them. I may not be able to so much when I add more corals though, so I want to plan on modifications I may need in advance.

I don't think it was mentioned earlier but wash rinse your shrimp before you feed it. To answer another question no it won't hurt a tank to go for three days with out light, think stormy days on the reef and no sunshine. My corals usually look better after a period of no light, they seem to perk up a bit.