Green Hair Algae

dweyant

Two words: nutrient export!

You can try all the tricks, but at the end of the day if you have excess nutrients you are going to have pest algae overgrowth.

What are your nitrate and phosphate readings?

Others have given you good advice, I just want to emphasize good nutrient export over gimicks. I bought an

established set up about 7 months ago and inherited a massive nutrient build up problem. The tank went through a variety of problems with algae, diatoms, cyano before

nutrient levels dropped and the tank cleaned up. I still have some green algae, but since it's not excesive and is pretty I've come to see it as a good thing. My tang agrees.

If you can add a fuge with macro algae, the granulated

nitrate/phosphate remover work well and does not have to be used in a reactor. Any moderate flow area is fine. I use it in plastic media containers in my sump. Be sure you are using ro/di water for all make up and top off, tap will just add back in the nutrients you are trying to get rid of.

Last, be patient! The excess nutrients that caused the hair algae will take some time to go away.

Be careful adding a lot of CUC critters. I love inverts, but keep in mind they are nutrient recyclers, not exporters. They add to the bioload of your tank and may be as much of a problem as a fix. Or worse yet they will starve and die when your tank cleans up!

I switched from flake to frozen foods. I'm not sure if that really helps, but my fish sure like it more! I feed formula 2 for my herbavores and mysis for my meat eaters. I feed every other day plus nori a couple times a week.

Good luck!