Water Temp

dweyant

Question for everyone.

How do you control your water temp? I have been running my tank at 78 all winter, and now that it is getting warmer it is starting to creep up to 80 - 81 during the day.

First, how high can I let it get before I need to worry, second how do most of you keep your temp under control?

I'd like to avoid a chiller if possible..

I currently am running two 36 inch T5 lights. I'd like to switch to 4 48 inch VHO lights, but I'm sure that will just make the heat issue worse.

I have a fairly low canopy as well, would a fan or two make a difference, and what type, where do you get them?

Thanks,

-Dan

I'm starting to have a similar problem. I have 6 x 54W T5's on a 55gal and my temps at night right before lights out are getting 81.5 or so. Ive been leaving the canopy partially propped open with a small fan blowing through.

I would like to build a new canopy with fans mounted on both sides to pull/push air through.

I was also wondering what kinds of fans we need to get, as they will be mounted in a high humidity / somewhat corrosive (salt) environment.

I have a couple of clip-on fans that i attach to my canopy, i also leave the canopy door open during the day so at least some of the A/C will circulate around it. In the heat of the summer ive seen my tank get up to 83, if I see it get any higher than that il just turm my lights off for the day.

I would suggest using the clip on fans (WalMart 9.99) and connect them to a timer. Set it to have the fans come on 1 hour after all the lights are on them shut of f1 hour after lights out. You amy have to adjust these times dependent on how hot/cool you keep your house.

I control my temp with a controller. 3 clip on fans are connected to it (1 in the sump 2 in the canopy). When my water temperature reaches 78.5 the fans kick on and of course when the water temp is lowered to 78 the fans go off. My tanks usually fluctuates between 78-80 degrees.

When using the evaporation method (which is how fans keep the tank cool0 it is important to have some kind of top off system. Like mentioned before keeping the house at a lower temp 78-80 will help as well. And keep the temp below 83.

I had very little problem last year without air conditioning my house to keep my tank cool, using small 4"/120mm fans. I got mine from Radio Shack but I believe you can buy them almost as cheap on the web that also come with the power converters - I think mine are 12V. I have two blowing across the lights and one sucking out air from the canopy. I am convinced the most important one is the fan sucking the air out. Evaporative cooling across your sump makes sense, but I have not needed it thus far. The timers on the fans Dave mentioned make very good sense, even if they are mechanical timers.

I have two small MHs. I think you are going to notice a BIG difference in running 4 VHO's compared to 2 T5's. Just the fact you are talking 440 watts rather than 78 is significant but I think the T5's are just more efficient/cooler ta boot.

Bill

I had very little problem last year without air conditioning my house to keep my tank cool, using small 4"/120mm fans. I got mine from Radio Shack but I believe you can buy them almost as cheap on the web that also come with the power converters - I think mine are 12V. I have two blowing across the lights and one sucking out air from the canopy. I am convinced the most important one is the fan sucking the air out. Evaporative cooling across your sump makes sense, but I have not needed it thus far. The timers on the fans Dave mentioned make very good sense, even if they are mechanical timers.

I have two small MHs. I think you are going to notice a BIG difference in running 4 VHO's compared to 2 T5's. Just the fact you are talking 440 watts rather than 78 is significant but I think the T5's are just more efficient/cooler ta boot.

Bill

Do you use glass on the top of your tank, or do you leave it open? I currently have the glass tops on mine, but I"m wondering if taking them off would help some with the temp.

Looks like I'll be making a Radio Shack trip this weekend to check out those fans as well!

-Dan

Running the glass tops will trap more heat. Open top allows for the best evaporative cooling.

When installing multiple fans in a canopy I always recommend having them all blow in or all blow out. If you have one pushing and one pulling you are essentially doing the same thing as running a single fan.

Don't forget to look at your sump. Your pumps generate heat and that warm water gets pumped into the tank. Adding a fan to your sump is another way to increase evaporative cooling.

You can successfully run a tank at temperatures in the 90's. Ask me how I know ;) I prefer to be between 78 and 82 if possible and consistency of temperature is more important than the actual temperature. I would rather have a tank run at 83 degrees all of the time instead of having a tank make a 5+ degree temperature swing every day.