Starting a business

Christian

I am retired now but I never wanted to work for myself. When you work for yourself, you are working for the worst boss with the worst benefits possible. You can't call in sick, go on vacation, or take a "mental health day". If you are not there, who is running the business and watching the cash register and stock? The only health/dental insurance is whatever the business can afford. You end up working 6 or 7 days a week waiting on customers during the day and then doing paperwork all night.

I was very happy putting in my 25 years with the City of Austin then taking my pension and going elsewhere. I worked my 8 hours during the day, was off most every weekend, and certainly on all holidays. During my last 10 years with the City, I was off 2 weeks at Christmas, at least 2 weeks during the summer, and called in sick whenever I felt the need. I had excellent health and dental insurance.

Having your own business is not all it is built up to be, IMHO.

Go for it. That's cooler than what a lot of other high school kids want to occupy themselves with.

Most kids don't have a clue what they want to do. I know I didn't.

If you can get your parents to invest in it, then even better.

Edited by nemirn

Before even considering opening a SW business I think the best business move you could do is become as knowledgeable about reef keeping as possible. When you own a business people will automatically think you know what you are talking about. As many of us have learned, that is not always the case with a fish store. If you inform yourself you will not only be helping your customers, but also yourself, by having less loss and healthier specimens.

Before even considering opening a SW business I think the best business move you could do is become as knowledgeable about reef keeping as possible. When you own a business people will automatically think you know what you are talking about. As many of us have learned, that is not always the case with a fish store. If you inform yourself you will not only be helping your customers, but also yourself, by having less loss and healthier specimens.

Good advice Gabe!

That is awesome advice!

Here is a business idea I thought about pursuing, but decided it would be too much hassle -- water changes.

I think water changes are kind of like oil changes. They are a pain in the butt, but good for you. Most people will gladly pay extra to have someone change their oil regularly, even though they could do it themselves.

I think a "water changing" service might actually work. I would definitely pay at least $20 + the price of water and salt not to have to deal with it. I might even be willing to pay more. I suspect other people would be glad to get someone to take over this chore as well.

That's a good one Alex. Might be a great way for Christian to get started, Brooks too. Heck, they could join forces!

I agree. It is a pretty nice idea, but I'm one of those people that would pay extra to have it done for me.laugh.gif