This is why we need to cover our wounds....

Laura

Yikes!

I have eczema that comes and goes on both hands, which means that an open wound of some sort is somewhat likely...

That is why I wear gloves (almost) every time I put my hand in the tank. If I do put them in without gloves I wash them very quick afterwards.

I am glad you are better Mama. That sucks! So was it just bacteria in the water or was it one of the coral toxins? I am a bit confused. ::blonde::

I think in the original post she mentioned brushing up against an anemone....

But glad to hear you are on the mend!

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on?"

....sorry, obscure Seinfeld reference from the great Jackie Chiles.

L-

I'm glad you are ok and I have your full arm gloves waiting for you.

Can I bring you a zoa frag to help you feel better? doh.gif

I'm a-gonna whack you callahan...but I'm still too tired....

This is why I don't keep zoas. I'm not even fond of the way they look, so why would I want to risk suffering personal injury from them? Granted, a lot of things in our tanks can cause an infection to an open wound, but these guys always seem to be the suspected culprits.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Mama. Sell those zoas and get some SPS!

I'm working on it Pat!!

EWWWW! This is no bueno, Mama!

I'm glad to hear you're out of the hospital though! Make sure not to swallow copious amounts of Vicodin... unless ya' really need it. :)

I'll be posting my Vicodin under Non-Related For Sale....

Do you dose live phyto? And what antibiotic did they give you? I'm wondering what kind of bacteria it was. Did you have bacteremia?

I do use DT's and Marine Snow....the doc thought it might be vibrio...the blodd test and lancing results will take a couple of days...I am on 2 horse pills of Levaquin and sulpha-something...the bottles are downstairs...I have to stay out of the sun and with Levaquin you have to be very careful on not lift heavy things (yeah, right...) because you can rupture a tendon...it will stay in my body for a month!! NOT HAPPY!!!

Laura...i have some ancient chinese secret remedies if you're interested :). Hope u feel better.

Bring it on Dan....

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on?"

....sorry, obscure Seinfeld reference from the great Jackie Chiles.

Thank you Pat!!!!:) I LOVE SEINFELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to see that you are healing and feeling better Laura! :) Most of the time the people of ARC are watching their corals heal, but now we get to see you get better while reminding us of he serious side of this hobby.

It is scary and was a wake up call for ole Mama, Lamont...I share all this to help all of us be more careful....you never think it will happen to you, but it can...

hey Laura glad to see that you are doing better. man that really looks like it hurts really bad. it just goes to show you how careful you really have to be. thank you for showing everyone how seriously injured you can get from this hobby just by doing something you do daily. :) but once again we're glad your ok and we hope to see you again soon :)

Robby and Amanda

OUCH!! Laura....that looks infected....clean it w/Hydrogen peroxide and put some triple antiobiotic (neosporin). If the swelling doesn't go down or your feeling other symptoms, do seek medical help. Take care of yourself, girl.

-Cindy-

If I only listened to Cindy at 2:03 PM and gone to the doctor then.....you're a good doctor, girlfriend!!!

Boo-Boo update...sick...........................a week later.........patience for this I do NOT have......I'm goin' in!!!!

That looks like it's going to leave a scar......a constant reminder...like we need that, huh. Don't we already have a husband :) to remind us that we aren't "Wonder Woman" but we try :lol: j/k.

If I only listened to Cindy at 2:03 PM and gone to the doctor then.....you're a good doctor, girlfriend!!!

Girl!! I've been there (wish I hadn't) but it happened and lesson learned....I wish I was a doctor, that way Robert could take time off and enjoy this hobby to its fullest (like me).

glad to hear you voice 2day Laura. Also happy to hear that everything is gettn better.

I hope YOU are feeling better too!!! I had that freakin' food poisoning....TWICE since living in Texas....you would think eating hot dogs off the street carts in New York would have built my immunities up....even the rats were on line with me...:D

I hope YOU are feeling better too!!! I had that freakin' food poisoning....TWICE since living in Texas....you would think eating hot dogs off the street carts in New York would have built my immunities up....even the rats were on line with me...happy.gif

The hotdogs from a NYC "dirty water dog" street cart are quite safe. The water they simmer in contain both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, so the hotdogs don't spoil.

laugh.gif

The hotdogs from a NYC "dirty water dog" street cart are quite safe. The water they simmer in contain both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, so the hotdogs don't spoil.

laugh.gif

You're hilarious Pat!! We called them "kangaroo meat"...they actually are the best hot dogs ever...next to the ones we can get at Yankee Stadium!! And how about those pretzels?? and then we're off to the Mr. Softee truck........

and then we're off to the Mr. Softee truck........

Chicago dogs...please.

With all due respect to Chicago cuisine, their attempts at NYC food staples like pizza and hotdogs are borderline pathetic.

Pizza should not be 3" thick and hotdogs were not meant to have salad toppings. wacko.gif

Mama, was the Mr. Softee double-cone not the greatest ice cream invention ever made?

I think I am going to have to disagree with you there pbnj, and I lived in NYC for 3 years. I would take a Chicago Dog and their stuffed pizza over NY fare any day. Now as far as fine dining and variety go NYC can't be beat.

Mama, was the Mr. Softee double-cone not the greatest ice cream invention ever made?

Whenever I would hear the Mr. Softee song and the truck rolling down the street, I would break my *** to run for a quarter!!! Did you ever have Bungalow Bar ice cream trucks with the bells that would ring? How about CARVEL???????? Dang, I'm hungry..........

Whenever I would hear the Mr. Softee song and the truck rolling down the street, I would break my *** to run for a quarter!!! Did you ever have Bungalow Bar ice cream trucks with the bells that would ring? How about CARVEL???????? Dang, I'm hungry..........

I worked at Carvel when I was a teenager. Good times.

Did you know that the "Santa Claus" and the "Fudgie The Whale" ice cream cakes were made from the same cake mold? (think about it)

Also, all of the hard-scooped ice cream comes from the vanilla/chocolate soft-serve machines...they just add different flavoring to them.

I think I am going to have to disagree with you there pbnj, and I lived in NYC for 3 years. I would take a Chicago Dog and their stuffed pizza over NY fare any day. Now as far as fine dining and variety go NYC can't be beat.

You're killing me, Gabe. wink.gif

That is funny I thought Grays Papaya was almost the worst food I'd ever had LOL.  Actually, there were very few places in NYC where I enjoyed the food at all, and the few places that were great were hellishly expensive.  In 7 years I did not find anything even resembling Mexican food, or BBQ.  Italian was hit and miss, as was Chinese- some really great places mixed in with really awful ones.  Pizza was the same; now I miss some really good NY style pizza, but you had to hit up the right place, which was surprisingly difficult sometimes.  Deli's were hit and miss too, some of them were actually pretty scary.  And I think I had found one place that had served up a real, handmade, good-old fashioned delicious hamburger.  Sure, you could always find a fancy-pants Kobe beef "burger" with triple trouffle sauce and served with "pomme frites"LOL but who wants to spend $48 on a burger?  </offtopic>

Laura, glad to hear you are doing OK, that looks like one awful wound.  Are there gloves available that are a bit more sturdy than the disposable ones, or is that all we have to choose from?

Laura, glad to hear you are doing OK, that looks like one awful wound. Are there gloves available that are a bit more sturdy than the disposable ones, or is that all we have to choose from?

Yeah...those big bulky ones are the only ones I could find...I think Dr Foster & Smith has some that are different....but I've been cheating already by using the New Skin again....it seems to be doing its job, but I am still panicky....if I ever get a blister or wound this big again, I'll for sure use those bulky thingies!!