To skim or not to skim?

Fishtales

What do you think about leaving the protein skimmer out of the equation in smaller tanks? If the tank has ample supply of biological and chemical filtration, is protein really all that much beneficial or even necassary?

Thoughts?

Define smaller? I have a 72 G bowfront and I was not using a skimmer. I had trouble getting one to work at all. I went through about 4 of the, I tried the "natural" method using an algal scrubber. My tank developed into the one of the ugliest on this board. People finally took pity on me and helped me get straightened out but it took adding and auto topoff and buying the right skimmer. I am a skimmer convert.

Especially a smaller tank skimming is very very useful, if not essential for keeping nitrates down. You do not have the room for a deep sand bed and the space for a refugium on a smaller tank is very limited so your only real option for nitrate reduction is a skimmer to short circuit the process.

I would definately use a skimmer. I do maintenance on other peoples tanks and have seen a wide variety of protein skimmers. From my experience you get what you pay for when purchasing a skimmer, and they are worth every penny. I wouldn't just find the cheapest one available, make sure you read as many reviews about a product prior to puchasing. I couldn't tell you how many people go to petsmart and buy the cheapest one there and never see much of an effect when installed.

I know you can get away with it, as I have in the past, but it definitely adds a certain peace of mind knowing you are constantly skimming your system water to keep it clean. I subscribe to the nature that yes, a tank can be overskimmed, but it all depends on the coral you are keeping. SOfties necessarily to not NEED the pristine conditions a tankful of SPS corals would need in order to thrive. A soft coral will grow and grow and grow in just about any reef system, provided general husbandry, IMO.

I don't have a length of personal experience to back this up - I simply haven't been reefing for that long, but from what I've gathered it certainly can be done. A skimmer is just another method of nutrient export, just as any other method there are specific nutrients that it takes out better than others, but this can be done with other methods. Running DSB or a bunch of macro and mangroves can be an option, but it really comes down to what lives in there and how much you feed it. If you're feeding once or twice a week and your bioload is small, you may not need a skimmer even on a large tank. Of course nutrient export is a must, so regular water changes or DSB or chaeto or mangroves or whatever will offer you the alternative to a skimmer.

However if your bioload is high, or you feed often, or you have messy eaters in the tank, or you don't have many other nutrient export options, a skimmer can be very helpful, if not outright required.

I'm currently running skimmerless in an approximately 11-12 gallon setup (7.5 + 5.5 sump) and while it hasn't been up for long, I haven't had problems. My tank at the moment is inverts and corals only, I feed approximately every other day, and I keep up with my water changes. Also have mangroves, macro, and extra live rock in my fuge in the sump.

I haven't run a skimmer on my tank in the past 4-5 years. Skimming is one means of export, but not the only. They do work and I am not going to say they are bad or wrong. I choose not to use one, because I like not having to pay for one or not having to clean it out. (I have used one on my tank previously by the way).

If you are interested in not using one, I would recommend reading Eric Borneman's forum on Marine Depot. Lots of good information there, including his study on what skimmer actually remove.

Troy

One whiff of the "nog" a GOOD skimmer pulls out of a tank and I know I don't want that in my reef. I have seen a couple nice tanks on RC that were skimmerless but it takes constant vigilance. All the tanks I have seen in person that were skimmerless left me very underwhelmed.

One whiff of the "nog" a GOOD skimmer pulls out of a tank and I know I don't want that in my reef. I have seen a couple nice tanks on RC that were skimmerless but it takes constant vigilance. All the tanks I have seen in person that were skimmerless left me very underwhelmed.

+1

What's scary is that I read one estimate that said a good skimmer only pulls out about 30%-35% of the proteins in the water.

Life's hard enough without the need for more water changes.....skim, YES!