Brute Trash Cans

pbnj

I would think they should be way fine for a long time. I believe the only thing that should really affect them is big changes in temperature like being frozen at times and 105 at others - in other words outside. I have the 18 gallon size in use on my pond. I has been at those extremes for 5 or 6 years. Come to think of it, I should probably replace it just in case, after all that time :hmm:

Bill

They CAN develop leaks. I didn't realize I had a pinhole leak on the back side of one of mine until the carpet "squished" at me when I walked up to it. :lol: It squirted about 5 gallons of new salt water onto my carpet over the course of 24 hrs, and it was less than two years old with relatively casual use. My other two have held up fine, but I'm now in the habit of doing a quick visual inspection every time I fill one and making sure I've got a precautionary towel underneath.

I read on RC that there may be a concern with leeching with the gray Brute cans.

I cannot state that it was definitely the problem, but I had contamination of my RO/DI water that I stored in a gray Brute can. RO/DI was 0-1 TDS and the water in the can was 70 TDS. I can't prove it was the can, but I can't think of what else it might have been...

I find it odd that they only seem concerned about the gray ones...

Of course, it's so widely used that I suspect if there was a real problem a bigger deal would be made.

Depends what they are made of. Prolypropylene (PP symbol) is the safest as it is guaranteed to be food-grade safe. HDPE, while typically food-grade isn't as resilient as PP. Look on the bottom of the container (usually) to see what it is made of. By law it must be labeled.

I read on RC that there may be a concern with leeching with the gray Brute cans.

I cannot state that it was definitely the problem, but I had contamination of my RO/DI water that I stored in a gray Brute can. RO/DI was 0-1 TDS and the water in the can was 70 TDS. I can't prove it was the can, but I can't think of what else it might have been...

I find it odd that they only seem concerned about the gray ones...

Of course, it's so widely used that I suspect if there was a real problem a bigger deal would be made.

Do you mix saltwater in the same can also?