For those that are getting shocked by your water

Reybeast

I would get shocked sometimes when I put my hands in the water and I touched the lighting, either by the sump light or by the main light on the top tank. So last night I used a volt meter to test the water (black voltmeter probe to the 3rd prong of a gounded outlet and red probe tip in the water) and turns out the Koralia1 in the main tank was putting 115v into the water (shocking!). i removed the k1 and no more voltage in the water biggrin.gif

Wait, just to make sure... so I don't kill myself and my corals in the process of testing, black tip into a grounded outlet (the circular ground plug, not any of the 2 flat live ones) and the red probe into the water? Obviously make sure one piece of equipment is running at a time to isolate the voltage leaking equipment.

-Ty

well, i can say that this has been happening for some time, fish are ok. Kryptonite corals have gone south though.

Could be an issue from the shock you got, but odds are it's unrelated. In a glass or acrylic tank with only plastic fittings and cables coming out of it, there's no grounding of the water and thus the electricity doesn't go anywhere or do anything. Once you add your hand to the tank though, it suddenly has a route to ground, and the tank as an insulator is bypassed, completing the circuit through the powerhead, the water, and you.

Same thing happens to me. If I stick my hand in the water without wearing shoes, I get shocked...without touching the lights though. Last week, I stuck my hands in the sump (wearing shoes) and was shocked pretty bad. Don't think my hubby gets shocked. How does this affect the corals? I am having issues with one of my zoas.

more on grounding probes. http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GroundingProbes.html This article is a little old, but has good info. All I know is I removed the K1 and no more shocks. I even tested it in a glass of water (ouch)

Edited by Reybeast