Metal Halide Bulbs

rollrok18

I would just like to get some opinions on metal halide bulbs. 250w to be exact. What brands does everyone prefer and where do you get your data from? I am running a Galaxy 250 dual electronic balast. Thanks for your input in advance.

I would just like to get some opinions on metal halide bulbs. 250w to be exact. What brands does everyone prefer and where do you get your data from? I am running a Galaxy 250 dual electronic balast. Thanks for your input in advance.

I run Hamilton 14Ks.

Since you are running the Galaxy e-ballast, you might consider the reeflux 20K. Danny and offroadadodge both run this setup and say they are getting great results with those bulbs paired up with that ballast.

question..... can a 150W bulb and a 250W bulb be put into the same fixture? The reason Im asking is becuase I have a 150W 14K bulb running right now but I wanted to upgrade to a 250W.

as long as you don't have a 250W ballast running to a 150W bulb.

so if its a 150W ballast, I can put in a 250W bulb? would it make a difference in the lighting or should I wait to get a new ballast to?

you can physically put the bulb in there but it won't fire right, if it all since the ballast isn't matched too.

If you are going up to a 250W setup, you should wait to get the matching ballast for it.

thank you all for the input. is there a huge difference in running a 150W bulb compared to a 250W bulb? I have a 29 gallon biocube that has softies, hard corals, and a couple of SPS. the SPS coral is starting to encrust and has polyps coming out.

thank you all for the input. is there a huge difference in running a 150W bulb compared to a 250W bulb? I have a 29 gallon biocube that has softies, hard corals, and a couple of SPS. the SPS coral is starting to encrust and has polyps coming out.

If you are running a 29G biocube, I wouldn't go above 150W as you'll have major heat issues. MAYBE a 175@, but 250W would be too much unless you wanted to add a chiller, etc.

Sounds like your tank is coming into its own so leave it be...or upgrade to a bigger tank!

I am running Pheonix 14K's now (@ 150W), and not exactly thrilled with them. The color is nice, and I am getting some nice Zoa growth, but it seems that my LPS and anemones are not liking it as much. They seems much happier under the 20K's I had before. I think I am going to switch back to 20K's when it is time to replace the bulbs.

question..... can a 150W bulb and a 250W bulb be put into the same fixture? The reason Im asking is becuase I have a 150W 14K bulb running right now but I wanted to upgrade to a 250W.

Perhaps those that answered this question know what your fixture is, but if it is DE a 250 WILL NOT fit into the fixture. As mentioned if it is mogul, it will fit, it just won't work.

Bill

so you are correct, if its a SE bulb(mogul base) any SE bulb will work in it, the kicker is you have to have the correct ballast for the bulb. Its not the base that determines the bulb wattage. They sell mogul base bulbs in ranges from 150w-1000w and i think even higher but you wont need them.