New 40g

joshman1204

I dont post very often but I lurk here pretty much all the time so I figured it was time to start posting:)

I started in this hobby last year with a 24g aquapod from seahorsejl and finally after a year I decided to upgrade to a 40g that I could really setup exactly how I wanted. I got the tank for free and had it drilled by shane at fishy business and it turned out perfect! I couldnt find a stand I liked to so I started on my first ever woodworking project and I must say I think it turned out pretty well. I dont know how to build the doors so I am going to order them from someone online when I get around to it. Anyway here are some very bad pics taken with my point-n-shoot that I have no idea how to work.

FTS including my DIY stand:

post-791-12663746220386_thumb.jpg

Shot of the rock work which was my first attempt but I think I really like it:

post-791-12663747547309_thumb.jpg

The next step is going to be a DIY canopy with prolly a 6 bulb T5 setup or maybe two 250w metal halides I dont know which way I want to go yet.

Equipment:

free 40g tank

DIY 20Long sump with some really bad silicone work

Mag 3 return

Precision Marine PM150 skimmer

Two little fishies phosban reactor

Autotopoff.com ATO

Unknown heater from my 24g

Aquamedic 250w pendant but I am going to T5's or dual 250w in the near future

Looks like a solid setup, and definitely +1 on the rock work and for a first project that's an awesome looking stand. I would make sure all the rocks are real stable or consider using epoxy or something to make sure they stay put - if a coral were to fall when a rock is bumped on the higher area the results would be....... dramatic.

Nice upgrade!! And I concur on the awesome rockscaping. And wow... just wow.. on the stand. You gonna be giving lessons at next weeks meeting? :huh:

You still planning on moving the 24g into a nursery? (I think that was you who mentioned doing that).

Thanks for all the compliments!

The tank is currently lit with an aquamedic 250w pendant at about 12" over the water. I am just not happy with the way the light is distributed in the tank. It is very bright in the middle and pretty dim towards the edges. I want a more uniform coverage from side to side and front to back. Will using a nice reflector like a lumenbright III give me better coverage than the pendant I am using now? I have a 4 bulb current USA T5 setup and I really like the way it lights my tank but I just dont know if a 4 bulb T5 is going to be enough to keep SPS,Clams, and anemones.

I really think I want to go with 2 250w MH and maybe 2 T5 actinic bulbs. I know this will be a lot of heat but I will just install a chiller if it is too much. The other option would be using like a 6 bulb T5 retrokit in my hood when I build it.

If anyone has any ideas for lighting this thing I would really appreciate some input!

Thanks!!

I think I finally got the light in a spot that I am happy with but I am still looking into some other options when I build my hood.

Here is a FTS with the sand added. I used about 1/2 bag of sugar sized aragonite and about a 1/2 bag of the next size larger.

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2339.jpg

This tank has been running for a little over a week now and I have no signs of a cycle. I used all cured live rock so I guess I am not going to have a cycle. I did lose my GBTA and clowns in this move which really sucks but I guess I will know better next time. I had everything setup in a rubber-maid tub with a heater, 2 maxi-jets for flow and a 4 bulb T5 setup for lighting. I thought that would work fine but after three days one of the anemones managed to get sucked into the max-jet and crashed the whole setup :( I was able to save all of the zoas and added them to this setup a little before I would have like to but it looks like they are going to make it.

Here are some shots of the various zoas I added.

DSC_2312.jpg

DSC_2323.jpg

DSC_2324.jpg

DSC_2325.jpg

My plan is to cover both of the large rocks on the ends with zoas and then fill the top of the arches with SPS and then I am going to try some dendro or sun polyps hanging upside down from those two arches.

• 4 weeks later...

So this tank is just a few days past a month old and I figured it was time for some updated pics. I haven't really added much just yet as I like to take it slow and try to make sure I dont do something I am going to regret later.

Here is a current FTS:

DSC_2385.jpg

Here is the Firefish I picked up from shane at fishy business a few weeks ago. He is just now starting to come out of his hiding spot:

DSC_2375.jpg

I just picked up this anemone and these clowns from aquadome this morning. I am not sure what kind of nem this is but the clowns love it. When I put the bags in the tank to float the clows were swimming against the side of the bag trying to get to the nem and then as soon as I unbagged them they went straight to it.

DSC_2380.jpg

DSC_2396.jpg

If someone could tell me what kind of nem and clowns these are I would appreciate it.

here is a shot of how I crammed a Precision Marine redline 150 into a 20g sump :) I know a skimmer rated for a 150 gallon tank might be overkill on a 40g but I like fish and I plan on "overstocking" this tank so I went big on the skimmer.

DSC_2393.jpg

I also added a moderate clean up crew consisting of 10 nassarius snails, 10 nerite snails, 10 zigzag snails, and a few blue legs from my old tank. I also added some mangroves to the fuge but I dont know if they are in there right. Should they be more out of the water than this or will they grow like this?

DSC_2391.jpg

Look like a Long Tentacle anemone. everything looks good to me. i had one but it was too big for me, so i got a green bubble tip. my clown took to immediately. i was also scared it was going to sting me. Lol:lol: yours seems to be okay but it will move so watch out.

Wow this anemone is huge today! I thought it was big yesterday but it really settled in and is massive today.

I am planning on adding some SPS across the top of my two arches but I have heard that anemones can move and sting SPS. Does it kill the SPS when it gets stung? Also is there a certain time period where if the anemone hasn't moved you can be pretty sure he is going to stay put? I know my BTA took 3-4 days to decide on a spot but after that he never moved for almost 6 months. Is the same true for this LTA?

Thanks!!

I saw those nems the day the Dome got them...absolutely beautiful...they were huge too...looks even better in your tank. Did you ever get an answer on the T5's? I have a 30 gallon cube (it's like 24" wide) and I currently have a PC on it, but I think it would look nice with SPS. So I was wondering if anyone answered you or if you did any research...what kind of wattage is needed for SPS when using a T5? and what bulbs rotation would be best and have a nicer blue look (I like the blue). I've only used MH, LED's and PC's.

I think SPS might be safe, since LTA's like to have their foot in the sand, so I doubt it would go wandering up on top of the rockwork (but anything is possible!). I would be more worried if you had a BTA, which is more of a rockwork anemone.

But yes, an anemone can kill corals. I had a bubbletip kill some candy canes and mushrooms when I had the 24g. But in my current tank, I have seen zoa's doing fine sitting next to a bubbletip.