Stand build soon to be tank build log

aggieMEDIC

So i got permission to finally set up my 55g it is tempered so i can drill it, im going to have dual overflows, haven't decided on the pump yet something inexpensive yet reliable. going to have either a 20 or 30 gallon sump havent decided on the size of the fuge yet. the stand i will be building to custom fit the area between the couch and the wall (kind of as a behind the couch table) but the stand will be built so i can upgrade to a bigger tank later. it will be 33"tall 6'6" long and 18" deep. the stand will also be upgradable with additional parts to expand to 24" deep for an even bigger tank. I am not going to put a "fancy" face on it just one that will protect the back of the couch. i will post a pic tomorrow of the plans that i drew up. Looking for t5 lighting 4 bulbs at first but i would prefer 8 (half atinic)

this will be a reef tank with some fish

any thoughts?

I thought you couldn't drill tempered glass. My tank had a sticker that said "Bottom is tempered glass. Do not drill!!!" Other than that the stand idea sounds great. It is always a good idea to make things upgradeable if possible. Talk to John at Kingfish about the T5 light fixtures.

Balancing overflows really isn't a problem. I have my dursos set at about the same height (eyeballed) and they both flow water. If one flows a little faster than the other, I would never be able to tell. You could even use one drain with a valve to feed your fuge low flow and other drain to your sump.

The main thing to keep in mind is that each overflow must be able to drain at least as much as your return pump can deliver to your tank. That way if something were to ever go wrong with one drain, your not flooding.

Like Headless suggested, you should build the extra width and out to the 24" now. It's really convenient. You will really like having the edge around your tank to set things on. Food, glue and epoxy, test kits, the TV remote and just about anything else that collects where there's room. If there's one thing I would do different if I built another stand it would be to build a bigger edge around the tank. Mine's only about 2 1/2 inches.

the plan right now is to have the tank sitting flush on the front but with 6 inches in the back to have room for the overflows so the stand can sit against the wall. i dont think i have a problem with not having a lip around the front because if you look at the measurements the stand is 6'6" and the tank is only 4' so i will have 15" on either end of the tank for "stuff"

I am going to need help with plumbing though, because i know nothing about how it works. I know the basics water goes in this end and out the other. i know how i need to have it set up but when it comes to putting that plan into action i dont know the first thing.

headless the acrylic worked great. needed to cover 1/2 of the 5 gallon hex then i'm using the scrap to learn to bend it.

Bending is pretty easy. I use a heat gun and patience. If you bend to quickly it will break. Trust me. I broke a perfectly good over flow box in half. Heat it up so hot it almost bends it's self. The trick is getting the bend straight. Using a piece of wood on the top and on the bottom of the acrylic works well. It becomes kind of a "break" and the bend happens almost effortlessly.

what kinda of wood should i build my stand out of? i think i remember reading somewhere that i should not use your basic pine from home depot. if not what kind of place should i go to?

remember i'm not in the austin area, but i will be building it in houston at a buddy's woodshop

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if im wrong but it looks like the top frame and the legs will only be held together by whatever you use to attach them. Personally i wouldnt do it that way because you are then relying on the strength of the screw or whatever what not, but not the 2x4 itself. Dont know if that makes sense or not. I'll try and find a pick to illustrate

• 8 months later...
ok this is the final stand plan any suggestions

standmockupv2.jpg

I should add there will be a plywood on the bottom then a layer of pond liner to prevent damage to the carpet. and hold any water in should there be an overflow

I have a tempered tank that I'm in the process of making into a saltwater aquarium, and I was just wondering how your tank turned out. I'm also having trouble understanding the whole plumbing process. So any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!