Managing Xenia

doktorstick

Howdy.  I have blue Xenia on my back wall and it has been spreading nicely.  However, I foresee me having to manage it to prevent its spread beyond a certain point.  Right now, the feet were seeded on a rock and now have spread to the back wall in several directions.  What is the preferred or tried-and-true method for pruning expanding Xenia?  Thanks.

If it's on the wall of a glass tank, a razor blade works just fine. I also used to surround my colony with a few small rubble rocks to create a buffer zone. Whenever the xenia spread onto the rocks, I would take them to the LFS and trade them in (for, among other things, a few more rubble rocks!). It's not the neatest method, but it worked very well. Good luck!

I used a vacuum siphon tube and a pair of scissors. I started the siphon and drained to a 5 gallon bucket. I put the vacuum directly over the xenia and then chop away! This keeps any floaters from attaching to everything else in the tank. I used a fish net to siphon out the pieces from the bucket and threw them in a critter cage with some rubble rock and replaced back in the tank. I took the pieces that did attach and traded them in at LFS.

If you are trying to kill it put that part of the rock out of the water, or if its on the back wall and you can lower the water level for a few hours (without collateral damage to other corals) with the lights on you can dry it out to kill it.

I hate that stuff, I'm still trying to get it out of my tank for 6 months now, down to 2 small areas now. I have scraped the rock with a razor blade and it still came back! My best method for small areas is to use epoxy and simply cover over it.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Hydro Innovations

I like the vacuum/scissor method! I just went after mine with a razor blade to trim it away from some other corals. I was not able to get it all off the rocks, thus the little bit lef ton the rocks started sprouting back polyps.

It is funny, in my 24g I could not keep xenia alive. In my 75g it is growing, but not a super fast rate (which is fine with me).

Am I reading that you can chop off the "hands" with ill effect?

Pretty much. It is a tough coral, espicially if it is spreading a lot in your tank. I have lopped off stalk down to the smallest pieces of base on the rock. And new stalks have grown back from those itty bitty pieces.