3 D printer

Beaux

Anyone that owns a 3d printer, I am looking for help.

I am attemptin to set up a sump tank build on a 10 gallon for my 20 long tank.

I am looking at ebay currently and found a set up I think would be perfect for my needs.

Unfortunately I do not know of a way to put up a link to it. But it has a corner piece for the intake (sock) all the divider walls, one for the refugium section as well. 

Can something like this be made with a 3d printer?

As I mentioned I like the set up, but its for a 10 gallon long which wont fit under my stand.

His asking price is $55 plus $14 in shipping costs.

If this can be done with a 3d printer, and someone would be willing to help me with it, what would it cost to do it?

In short, yes, just about anything can be printed, especially if it is 8"x8" or less.  If it is larger than that the design will need to be broken up into a few pieces and assembled.  PM me, I have a printer.  Cost for materials is probably negligible, less than $10.  It's the time, designwork, and test prints that can cost you, but I enjoy tinkering.

At this point I am just getting flustered with all this. 

I am going in so blindly, having to many things go wrong, lack of knowledge and the mistakes I am making are costly.

I am trying to learn as much as I can, but it is not till later down the road I am finding out, well I sould have already had this or that equipment. Proper lighting, the sump system, dosing system, protein skimmer ect.

I thought this would be something that would benefit my tank as well as help cut down with maintenance. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/REFUGIUM-KIT-for-20-x10-x12-10-GAL-Long-aquarium-Adjustable-water-height-/162345009916?skus=Flow Rate:with single sock mount&varId=461374645451 

Im guessing the sock is just something to filter? Then I would still have to figure out what type of sump for the return, matching dimensions for the tubing for both the new HOB and the return sump.

Then figure out how to set up the subterfuge, and that needs lighting, live rock and what ever is supposed to be living in that section.

I am sorry but this is just getting to overwhelming for me without the knowledge or experience. 

One would think you could trust the advice of a LFS employee, but regretfully you can not.

Look man. You just do it.  We all had our beginner tanks, even Ty.  Ty is on his 4th tank that I know of. You build a tank, figure out what you like or don't like and what works and then you tinker and change.  You will be building you 3rd tank by the time you have it all figured out for you.  My personal frag tank changed a minimum of 3 times before I ever put water in it.  My big tank has changed 6 times and it's still not built.  Straight up this hobby is expensive.  It can take as much time and money as you allow it to have.

look at Jimbo.  He is like on his 8th tank.  Now the current iteration is gorgeous and probably perfection but it took him a while to get there.

I'm on my 5th tank and they were all perfect from the beginning.  I was also born with a full head of hair and could speak two languages by 3 months old.

Okay the only true statement was I'm on my 5th tank, though it was 14 years in my case... Jimbo took only 2 years to make it to 15 tanks.

Reburn is speaking the truth, do the best you can, be patient in this hobby, cyano and algae are nothing to worry about, with good maintenance, it all resolves itself eventually in the first year.  I wasn't patient enough and use chemiclean as its worked for me in the past and I paid for it with dinos.  Won't always happen that way but sometimes it does.  Roll with the punches.

See my cyano covered tank in all its glory before it is what it is now.

Make your mistakes and learn from them.  Try to gather as much information as you can from other reefers.  Best thing in my opinion is find someone's tank you like online, and copy their methods.  Right down to husbandry and equipment if you haven't bought that item yet.  I spent years of copycat reefing... See what works for others and see if it'll work for you too!

Archived