Indoor plumbing

ckyuv

Well, here is my friendly reminder to learn from my mistakes. Don't cheap out on your plumbing. I hooked up a RO/ DI filter in my laundry room, I did a splitter in the fresh water line to my washer so I could also put the drain into the drain for the washer. Figured the best way to ensure I did not get copper in my lines was to use a cheap plastic Y valve. Well...  that turned into the valve not digging the 15 degree weather while I was out of town in the upstairs of my house. 

That turned into a downstairs where I used a broom and an open door to drain the water. Then a downstairs with no ceilings, walls, or carpet and an excessive amount of very loud fans :)

Please don't use cheap plumbing, and if you have please consider swapping it out. 

20180117_160452.jpg

20180123_085435.jpg

Man, so sorry to hear this.

I have the same setup in my downstairs laundry room. I will add, even with metal fittings and a water softener you need to disconnect and check your Y-splitter at least annually. Mine continually fills up with calcium which rachets up the pressure.  The last one I removed to check broke in half in my hand when I was removing.  $10 annual replacement is much cheaper than the hassle and cleanup when one fails.

Thanks y'all! The insurance is cool so the recovery has not been bad. Just wanted to make sure to share the experience so I could hopefully prevent it for someone else. Like others mentioned, a quick check / replacement sure beats replacing house lol 

Archived