Are these diatoms?

Paula

Still a new tank, 75 gallons, added first clean up crew (3 hermits and 2 mithrax crabs on 9/27, added 5 additional hermits on 10/6). I had an initial small out break of gha which was effectively eliminated with the additional 5 hermits. I have 100 lbs of dry rock from Reef Cleaners in Florida and about 3 lbs of live rock from River City Aquatics. The rock has been cycling since about mid August. My nice white dry rock is starting to turn brownish in patches. Are these diatoms or just the normal process of the rock becoming alive? I tried looking at some scrapings from the rock under a low power microscope and didn't see anything that looked like diatoms. I was happy to see some copepods. I apologize the picture doesn't show it more clearly. You can see one of the pieces of live rock with some nice coralline algae and one of the Mithrax hiding between rocks.. The brown is just showing as patches in this picture. The overall picture in the tank shows it much more visibly. (There are still no fish or corals in the tank. I'm hoping to add the first coral frags next week.

Thanks in Advance,

Paula

Second pic.jpg

Good question! I don't have a turkey baster at the office but I'll pick one up tonight. (I don't think the spousal unit would appreciate my using her turkey baster for my aquarium). I'm leaning more toward it being a diatom bloom. I turned the tank lights off and it's much more noticeable under the fluorescent office lights.

I'll check in tomorrow. So do diatoms easily blow off? I've been reading... sounds like a fairly normal thing at this juncture in the set up process. I was heartened to see copepods!

thanks,

Paula

Good question! I don't have a turkey baster at the office but I'll pick one up tonight. (I don't think the spousal unit would appreciate my using her turkey baster for my aquarium). I'm leaning more toward it being a diatom bloom. I turned the tank lights off and it's much more noticeable under the fluorescent office lights.
I'll check in tomorrow. So do diatoms easily blow off? I've been reading... sounds like a fairly normal thing at this juncture in the set up process. I was heartened to see copepods!
thanks,
Paula
Looks like diatoms to me too. Fairly normal and there will be much more unsightly algae, cyano, and possibly dino blooms before it all stabilizes out.

I just use old kitchen cooking utensils and replace them with nicer ones to stay out of trouble. [emoji4] Though I do all the cooking so I'm just gifting myself with newer stuff in the kitchen as well. Double win!

So pretty much right on target. Anything I should be doing? Since I don't have any corals in yet, I went ahead and shut off the lights. Anything else I should be doing at this juncture?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So pretty much right on target. Anything I should be doing? Since I don't have any corals in yet, I went ahead and shut off the lights. Anything else I should be doing at this juncture?

It just runs its course once the silica has been used up in your system.

I would be adding fish and corals as as soon as possible.   Corals and fish are critical parts of a mature reef ecosystem.  The sooner they are added the sooner you system will mature.  As pointed out above your ecosystem will go through cycles which will include a several different types of nuisance algae and manual removal is best to deal with it.  I personally prefer royal and/or tuxedo urchins to help with long term algae control as they actually scour off the holdfasts some algae use to attach to rocks. 

OK, that makes sense. I'm going out of town on Thursday and will be back Monday. I don't want to add anything prior to that. I'll look at getting my first frags next week. I'm figuring a couple of zoanthids to start.  I've read a bit on introducing corals. Is a single dip in Bayer sufficient? I know some people recommend a two dip process. CoralRX and then Bayer. Any thoughts?

I've just started my 10 gallon quarantine tank. It has water from my DT and a sponge filter that I had been keeping in my refugium. I''ll want to be thinking about first fish. I don't plan on this being a real fish intensive tank.

Again thanks for all the help.

I would just go with the CoralRX. Bayer is usually used to dip acropora and is a pesticide. Without proper rinsing technique, it can get into your system and nuke your amphipod population.
That's good to know. I hadn't heard that about Bayer. I must say I was feeling a little squiggish (technical term) about using an insecticide.

OK. I had turned them off. I've turned them back on with an eight hour on; blue channel at 25%, white channel at 10%. Since we have determined the previously identified brown dusting to be diatoms (and they have already started diminishing, I'm changing filter socks daily as they were getting brown fast!), I'm going to move this thread back over to my tank build thread.

Thanks guys!

Personally I would be hesitant to add too much too quickly, especially more delicate corals. It's been my experience that Acropora corals don't fare well with diatoms around. I just want to throw out a word of warning to adding too much to a tank at one time, making changes in a reef tank should be akin to steering a ship. You make small adjustments and the affects are seen later down the road.

Personally I would be hesitant to add too much too quickly, especially more delicate corals. It's been my experience that Acropora corals don't fare well with diatoms around. I just want to throw out a word of warning to adding too much to a tank at one time, making changes in a reef tank should be akin to steering a ship. You make small adjustments and the affects are seen later down the road.
Yes, I totally agree. I'm just thinking about long term and trying to develop a reasonable plan. I'm not even considering Acropora at this point. I'm thinking a couple of small Zoanthid frags followed by a mushroom. No SPS or LPS until I feel the tank is fully ready. As far as fish go, I'm looking at a four week quarantine. If I start two fish now (still thinking the royal gramma) that takes us to almost Thanksgiving before the first fish are introduced. Then I consider putting the next fish in quarantine. This is if course, all predicated on the tank parameters indicating it's ready.

Of course, I'm open to input if that seems too hasty. I'm pretty dedicated to doing this as responsibly and well thought out as possible.

Cheers,

Paula

Archived