Redundancy in a Reef System

FarmerTy

While I don't consider myself a paranoid person (my wife has me beat on that easily), I was just chatting with another reefer this past weekend and realized unintentionally that I have a backup for almost everything in my system.

Return pump: Jaebo 12000 return pump (running) - 1 backup Jaebo 12000, one backup Reeflo Gold Hammerhead, and one backup Sicce HF 12.

Controller: Apex (running) - 1 backup Full Apex head unit, 1 backup EB8 8 switch outlet bar, one extra pH probe, 2 backup float valves.

Lights: 3 Ocean Revive LEDs (running), two backup OR LED fixtures, backup T5 lighting setup, just gave away my MH 400-watt backup setup

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 5000 (running), no backup pump or skimmer! Yikes! Well, there's a tiny skimmer I used for my tubs while going fallow but the cup had to be emptied daily.

Biopellet and GFO reactors - Reef dynamic recirculating reactor and BRS reactor (running), have 2 general backup reactors in case they are needed.

Tank: 215-gallon tank and stand (running), just recently acquired a backup 215-gallon tank and stand.

Circulation pumps - Jaebo WP40 and WP60 (running), have one backup WP60 and 3 backup WP40s.

Magnet cleaner - Flipper magnet (running), just acquired another one.

I seem to have a problem. [emoji15]

Anybody else unintentionally or intentionally started to compile backups for everything?

I make it a practice to always have a backup heater, return pump (or at least the impeller) and one circulation pump.

Anything mechanical is bound to fail sooner or later; and I also like to take equipment out of use for extended periods of time to clean it or just to let it rest. :D

I guess I'm more paranoid than you Ty..  I try to have working redundancy, multiple water and/or air pumps so if one or two quit there's still water movement to keep animals alive.  I also have battery operated air pumps that turn on in case of power failures (the Penn Plax B1 is cheap and runs several days on 2 "D" cells).  I do the same with lights using multiple overlapping light fixtures.  Then I keep spares around too.   Thankfully skimmers and reactors aren't needed 'cause that would take up a lot of space.

3 hours ago, pabloescolar said:

The sarcasm in here is rich.....almost as rich as Ty if he can afford to replicate his entire system ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He pays for redundancies in ARC likes! Seriously, have you seen the leaderboard? He had like 2,000 more than #2. Well done Ty!

I have backups in my QT tank. If a pump dies, light goes out, or heater fails I can just pull it's counterpart out of the QT tank. I had a backup Jebao pump in a box, but I've already had to replace it this year, so I need to restock on cheap Jebao pumps now. You can never be too prepared, especially when one piece of equipment can mean the life and death of hundreds to thousands in livestock!

I have backups for just about everything.  The backups are mostly off my old 75g tank that I never sold off. I figured the peace of mind with having backups would be worth more than the pennies on the dollar I would get from selling them.

Return Pump: Running: Jaebo 12000  Backup: Vectra L1 (:lol:)

Heater: Running: Three - 300w Finnex  Backup: Two - 500w Finnex

Powerheads: Running: Two Gyre 150s, Two Neptune WAVs Backup: 1 MP40, 1 MP10, 2 Tunze nano steams

Lights: Running: Two ATI Powermodules Backup: Two AI Sol Blues, Three - 48" BuildMyLed lights

Skimmer: Running: ATI Powercone 150 Backup: Skimz SM160, Reef Octopus 150 (both would be undersized but would work in a pinch)

Tanks: Running: 240g Backups: 75g, Two 40g, 26g, 10g, Several 55g and 25g brute trash cans.

ATO: Running Tunze Osmolator 3155 Backup: Extra 3155 and two extra pumps

Extra Apex system with extra EB8 and temp probe.

I also have tons of emergency PVC parts and bulkheads in case something breaks.

The only things I can think of that I don't have backups for are dosing pumps and a biopellet reactor. I'd eventually like to get a generator too for long term power outages.

Well I'm glad there are those that are equal to or more paranoid than me!

I ran the same route as Hula where a lot of my backups were from the old system. The backup tank and stand just happened by chance and I wasn't planning on it. The goal is to have that ready so when its time to buy a new house, I'll have a tank ready to move into and stress a little less about the whole move itself.

He pays for redundancies in ARC likes! Seriously, have you seen the leaderboard? He had like 2,000 more than #2. Well done Ty!

Mike told me not to tell anyone but if you hit 1,000 likes, he picks you up and takes you to a secret place where you get to ride unicorns and drink rainbow beer with leprechauns all day. [emoji7]

I cant stop laughing.  Ty himself told ME I had too many redundancies... and it turns out he has a complete second "standby" system.  oh man, i just cant.. lololol.

I thought you were over the top until I assessed my,own collection this weekend! Its like looking into a truth-mirror!

Just now, FarmerTy said:

I thought you were over the top until I assessed my,own collection this weekend! Its like looking into a truth-mirror!

well, now we both are.  now you need to figure out what you can make active redundancies, so its not sitting on a shelf in cold-standby :)

still too funny, hehehehe

Well, now that you've explained the backup tank logic it makes total sense!   I guess since I'm ramping down my 32 gallon tank into my new frag tank, and it's a room to room move, I'm doing the same thing on a smaller scale :)

10 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Magic mirror, on the wall - who is the most redundant of all?

<insert evil queen gif here>

Redundancy eases the mind or stresses it? 

On 1/30/2017 at 4:29 PM, BornToHula said:

I have backups for just about everything.  The backups are mostly off my old 75g tank that I never sold off. I figured the peace of mind with having backups would be worth more than the pennies on the dollar I would get from selling them.

Return Pump: Running: Jaebo 12000  Backup: Vectra L1 (:lol:)

Heater: Running: Three - 300w Finnex  Backup: Two - 500w Finnex

Powerheads: Running: Two Gyre 150s, Two Neptune WAVs Backup: 1 MP40, 1 MP10, 2 Tunze nano steams

Lights: Running: Two ATI Powermodules Backup: Two AI Sol Blues, Three - 48" BuildMyLed lights

Skimmer: Running: ATI Powercone 150 Backup: Skimz SM160, Reef Octopus 150 (both would be undersized but would work in a pinch)

Tanks: Running: 240g Backups: 75g, Two 40g, 26g, 10g, Several 55g and 25g brute trash cans.

ATO: Running Tunze Osmolator 3155 Backup: Extra 3155 and two extra pumps

Extra Apex system with extra EB8 and temp probe.

I also have tons of emergency PVC parts and bulkheads in case something breaks.

The only things I can think of that I don't have backups for are dosing pumps and a biopellet reactor. I'd eventually like to get a generator too for long term power outages.

An extra apex? Heck I still use an aquacontroller 3! >:( grrr

Just now, FarmerTy said:

That's why we're going to blast you into the future with this build!emoji106.png

Ty's tank away from home, Wrasse city- oh and you're gonna be there when we pick the first, even if I gotta swing by and get you!

Archived