ARC fig growers

jestep

Any other ARC members grow figs?

I sort of got into them a few years ago and even though I'm downright awful at growing plants, it's a really cool hobby with potentially a really good payout if you like fresh figs. Not quite as addicting as reef keeping but I'm up to about 8 fig species, all but 2 grown from cuttings. I was simply amazed to find out there are literally hundreds to thousands of different figs and Austin happens to have the perfect soil and close to the perfect climate for them. Just wanted to see if any other ARC members got the fig bug.

19 hours ago, Reburn said:

Not much For figs. Love roses. Austin has the worst soil, ph and weather lol. Maybe I should try figs.

Yep. Summers are a little rough when they're super dry but figs love alkaline soil and sun and heat to a point. I'm having moderate success with peaches right now. Need to make sure to get ones from a local nursery that sells with the correct rootstock though and one that doesn't need 800 - 900 hours of cold. Most of the peaches sold by large stores and big nurseries are not suitable for our soil or lack of cold.

I sort of got into them by accident because I had a fig dish at a restaurant that was flat out ridiculous, so I made a point to get a small tree, but quickly found out it has a community approach, a lot similar to keeping aquariums.

14 hours ago, Reburn said:

I think there is a strain called a Texroyal peach that should do ok here that requires like 600ish chill hrs.

That's a good one, we went with Sam Houston, the pink flowers are amazing. But, Texstar, june gold, spring gold, probably a dozen more that work as well. Beating the birds and squirrels to them is the next trick. I swear they are watching us or something. They get eaten literally the day or two before I'm going to pick them...

I've done oranges, lemons, and pears and had pretty good success.  I had an apple tree last year that produced 4 apples. They were beautiful and healthy when I left on vacation, but I came home and something had stolen 3 and taken a bite of the 4th. :(

1 hour ago, Sascha D. said:

I've never had a fresh fig! Are they any good? I tried candied figs and dates while I was in KSA that I thought were good. Taking out the pit was a little annoying but I was really hungry!

Figs don't have the hard pit like dates do. But the difference between dried ones is similar to plums vs. prunes or grapes vs. raisins. Good ones are very juicy and the flavor can vary from tart like a berry or strawberry-like to almost like honey. But besides fresh can be dried or canned or turned into preserves.

Amazingly, they're basically an inside out flower as far as what a fig technically is.

I have a 7-8 year old fig tree in my back yard that i planted for my mom and last year got more figs then i knew what to do with...mine is the texas ever bearing one. For those that dont know it means it produces them all summer long. Last years were huge for this veriaty due to the wet year we had. Figs do like lots of water.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Archived