Back in business - 110g shallow build

stephaniegarcia

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I didn't end up being called Jolt's protégée, went to Lowes this morning and picked up pvc pipe and fittings. Picked up what I needed to complete it (using some of the pvc that came with it because there's plenty;) including 1.5" PVC pipe for the drain and 1.25" fittings. 

FML. 

#notjolt

;)

ended up using some of the plumbing I had, and making it work. Needs a durso standpipe, but for now I've got it dialed in to where it's tolerable. Sand is in. Haven't cooked rock. I just need stuff out of the 40. I'm going to go minimal on rock and just have two big islands and maybe one small one. Thinking I'll need shelf rock for what I want, so I'll get that ordered. But not tonight. I'm drained from three trips to lowes, troubleshooting a leak etc. 

I also can't program my Apex right now. I don't have a display module, and my laptop charging port is fried. Work laptop won't let me download the program. I've got the part for the laptop, so that looks like tomorrow's agenda. 

IMG_2514.JPG

#notjolt
[emoji6]
ended up using some of the plumbing I had, and making it work. Needs a durso standpipe, but for now I've got it dialed in to where it's tolerable. Sand is in. Haven't cooked rock. I just need stuff out of the 40. I'm going to go minimal on rock and just have two big islands and maybe one small one. Thinking I'll need shelf rock for what I want, so I'll get that ordered. But not tonight. I'm drained from three trips to lowes, troubleshooting a leak etc. 
I also can't program my Apex right now. I don't have a display module, and my laptop charging port is fried. Work laptop won't let me download the program. I've got the part for the laptop, so that looks like tomorrow's agenda. 
IMG_2514.thumb.JPG.72882f14500b7ee28819d6d0a41f932c.JPG

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm going to start using #notjolt whenever I do something with the tank quickly.

Have you tried gaining control of your apex with the online Fusion platform yet? I've never actually used my display module for anything other than updates and getting info off of it. You're welcome to borrow my module if you want. https://apexfusion.com

Serious question - what eats anemone "poop?" 

Tina (Tina! Eat the food!) the Haddoni anemone is pretty large. She likes to eat and the midget likes to watch, so she eats at least once per week. It's fun watching how quick she grabs stuff and rolls inward with it. Definitely a predator.  She also poops what looks like compacted versions of what she ate (krill, shrimp, hopefully not any fish I add.) what will eat it? Is it wrong to hope something will? Worst case I get the grabbers and keep throw long it in my front flower beds. 

Pic to show how massive Tina is. Happy 'nem is happy. I'm not happy with where she placed herself, but whatever. Gave her a rock and hope the maroon clowns I'm picking up at Reef Currents keep her happy. 

Speaking of: they are first edition ORA Gold Nugget Maroons. Dennis at FJW has had them since they first came out. He was picky about parting with them, but after I told him I'd save Tina for them, he agreed. They currently live in a sump because they are such a-holes. Biting people, harassing fish, "all your anemone are belong to us" kinda mentality. My kinda people. 

Also bought a colony of black torch with gold tips from him (will also pick up at reef currents,) and some stuff from Pham I'll pick up this weekend. Tank parameters staying stable. Using mainly cycled water, established Marinepure and the addition of bacteria hopefully shortened the cycle little. Cloudiness is still sand. Bought filter floss that should be here tomorrow from Amazon to try to help. The socks are catching a bunch but I am impatient.

The quick turnaround story because someone asked: I had to get everything out of the 40. I couldn't keep it stable and Tina was stressing, so bit the bullet and got this one up. I wasn't about to lose her. she's way happier with a bigger house, fancy car, ... wait...

Really want aquacultured rock. Went with minimal rock, so anything I buy may go in sump for now and be in smaller quantities. I haven't decided yet. I'd have to get lucky and get similar rock, or something that goes with the flow (get it?! Get it?!) to put it in the DT  

IMG_2561.JPG

P.S. Tina is a total diva. I watched her steamroll over everything because she wasn't happy with her current real estate arrangement (that she chose, mind you.) She's now in a cave on the total opposite side of the tank.  

I've also got my 3.5 year old going around screaming TINA! EAT THE FOOD. 

I've never seen anything eat the anemone poop that comes out of my anemones. If the anemone isn't fully digesting the food and spitting out indistinguishable gunk then I know I'm feeding too much and need to back off. I also don't feed when the anemone is unhappy and looking for a new home to settle in to. They just seem to spit it up quickly when stressed. I imagine bristle worms grab whatever is left and drag it into a crevice to eat. I don't usually see much anemone poo floating around the tank, so something is probably consuming it that I'm not seeing. Your carpet will probably be unhappy until the tank has leveled out and become more stable. Once the water is clear and the tank is chugging along the anemone will probably settle in fully. Seems like anemones never go where we want, we can only encourage them into a certain spot and hope the conditions are favorable enough for them to stay.

Tina stayed put. CuC came in. Had some major losses because UPS absolutely sucks. They showed up in the middle of the day and refused to return my calls asking where the driver was. Ended up having to work from home waiting on them. They were supposed to be there by 1030. 2PM is when they showed up. Bags were hot as hell, everything was stressednor dead.  Liveaquaria is replacing things, but they killed one of my Halloween hermits. Those guys are my favorites. Not happy. 

Chestnut turbos, ceriths, nassarius, and a couple Babylon snails made it. Just to see where the Babylon snails were in the tank, I put krill on the bottom. Watching them come out of the sand is like a submarine surfacing. Way too cool. I may have them send some more of those guys. 

Water change today. I really need to get my RO tanks setup. Going to lowes today to make that a reality. 

Isaac got my Apex running at his house, but for some reason I can't ping it on my network. Even after assigning static IPs to things. Taking it back up there with my work laptop today (got temp admin rights...said it was to setup my home network to work from home ?) to try and solve the problem. 

Have you considered ordering the bulk of your CUC from reefcleaners.org? Have had awesome experiences with them every time. And they're generous with what they send. Everything has always arrived alive. Maybe won't have the colorful specialty hermits though. Been a while since I looked on their site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live aquaria sent me some Halloween hermits with a heat pack in the box when it was 80+!degrees in Austin that week. Bags arrived super hot and everything dead. I'm shocked how little work they do in prepping shipments from LA to their customers in regards to temperature prep. I think I'm done with LA for a while

Exactly. Mine showed up with heat packs. I had credit with LA, so that's why I went with them vs. reefcleaners. I think I'll be placing my next order with reef cleaners.

Isaac and I spent a long while trying to get the Apex up. It wasn't a display issue, it was networking. I finally (somehow) managed to get it on my network using static IP's (Isaac taught me how) and was happily programming away when it just went out. Not to mention, when using it - even when changing router settings, my internet wouldn't work. At all. We also initialized all, and it kept the old IP address, username and password of the old owner TWICE. Then, we couldn't get it to Link to Fusion. 

After I was about to throw it out, (and Isaac told me if I was going to do that to throw it in his front yard to work with;) It miraculously picked up a new IP off my router, and it and my internet have been working flawlessly since. I'm not enough of a computer geek to understand why it wouldn't stick with the IP's we assigned it, but don't care. It's working, my internet is working, I was up until 3AM programming lighting cycles, initial vortech settings etc. It's time to move it over to the tank, but that requires getting it on wireless for now (long story about the electrician, so my dedicated circuit and ethernet ports aren't wired yet.) I'm not sure I am ready to tackle that this weekend. Therefore, it will stay in the pile of wires on the floor, next to the TV on the floor, until my entertainment center is done being built. 

• 2 weeks later...

Electrician here today and I'm recommending him big time if you need work done - for your tank or in general. 

After getting a quote from electrician number one over the phone, then it being TRIPLE what they quoted me over the phone after all was said and done - I shopped around. I saw this guys name on Nextdoor - he came out and quoted me a fantastic price to move an outlet; add Ethernet plugs since my router is on one side of the room, and my tank on the other; and ran a dedicated circuit for the tank. He's licensed and does work on the side as well. Did a great job. Didn't change his price. Quick. Cleaned up after himself. He also answers his texts and returns phone calls!! 

Leroy Garza 512-905-0559

• 8 months later...

Tina says hello. I'm kicking out of here with the military to a sandbox when the weather starts warming up, so was worried about the tank. Luckily, if you're willing to spend a small fortune each month, there are places that will come take care of it for you. I found a company in San Antonio that I've been using that normally services commercial tanks, but was the only one that replied back to me about maintaining my tank. Good news is, they've been awesome. When I'm gone, they will take over the frozen feeding once/week, and the auto feeder will do the rest. They dose and maintain parameters in the tank. All alerts go to their e-mail inbox, so if there's an outage/leak/whatever they will go fix it. I'm going to setup an Arlo camera so that when I'm missing home, I can login and look at it. 

Because I found a reputable company to maintain it, added a GFO and carbon reactor, and finished automating it (ATO, feeder, etc.) I decided to add a couple things. Went shopping at Pham's the other day, and picked up a sunburst BTA for the opposite side of the tank among others. The clowns are still hosting Tina, because they are idiots. They tick her off by moving the sand away from her foot, then she gets mad and moves. I've made it to where she can't move from one side of the tank, so she just goes in circles. I'm going to get a PVC pipe and put it in the sand under her foot the next time she detaches, and maybe she will stay put, but who knows. It's Tina. She does what she wants. So do the maroons. This is their world, I'm just living in it. 

Bunch of jawbreakers coming in today. May be up for trading in another month for other things. Pictures once they are in. 

Tina and Clyde. Bonnie is probably moving sand around somewhere. Aquarium guys coming today, so Tina had some clams this morning, and is a happy camper. 

9XQrl9vl.jpg

I did finally purchase some gel filters, so now maybe I can take better pictures. They aren't in yet, so you'll have to deal with this crappy one of the sunburst

aVOJNEml.jpg

Tina had to move to the big fuge in my sump. She will get her own tank post deployment but is happy in her ~20g  haven for now

Ty likes $$$ corals. I like the fish version, and wasn't going to risk Tina eating this one. Bonnie and Clyde happily moved to the BTA. Meet Nancy - she's eating, very curious, beautiful and travelled well over 10k miles to get here (Joc Angel)

IMG_8056.JPG

Archived