Isaac

Isaac's 180+

so part of the sump cleanout was removing the old bioballs...  the idea is great, but it also backfires if you are trying to limit surfaces for pests.  I have a big enough fuge for pods and such, i dont think i need the bioballs anymore...anyways... i liked the tray ontop, but i wanted to start using a sock too.... so, my first acrylic build attempt...

measure twice... cut once... forget to include width of the sheet for the back,, compensate *lol*  originally i was planning on having a solid back panel.. but ended up having to split it.. oops. (pardon the huge bag of SHOES for the garage sale) 

cutsheet...

20180823_190931 (Medium).jpg

compared..

20180824_172201 (Medium).jpg 

installed..

20180824_173822 (Medium).jpg 

still need to make the splash guard..

20180824_174221 (Medium).jpg

"why the tray isaac?"  if a fish makes it down, they can flop into the sump.  once i had bubble algea, having it not in the sock made it easy to remove and not burst while not knowing it was in the sock tumbling/bursting (never saw any again... i got lucky), etc.  the filter in the tray is a medium/large koi pond filter.

Are those the felt type socks? How do you plan to clean those? I guess the bigger ones would be easier to turn inside out than the 4”. I switched to the nylon ones for my upgrade. Gonna see if those work better. Someone told me they’re a lot easier to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Christyef said:

Are those the felt type socks? How do you plan to clean those? I guess the bigger ones would be easier to turn inside out than the 4”. I switched to the nylon ones for my upgrade. Gonna see if those work better. Someone told me they’re a lot easier to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are alot easier to clean and clog less frequently. 

With felt, never had to turn them inaide out. Just ran them in my washer  with no detergent and they cleaned just fine.

I use 4" ones for the skimmer drain... i have like 12. when I have about 10 used I disk then in tap water, then use a house to spray em. turn them inside out with a broomstick and spray again. then they soak in wreak bleach bucket for an hour. then washing machine with vinegar. then washing machine with nothing. I have to do all this because they get caked on since I wait and do them in bulk. Add 7"ones to the mix from 180 and 40 tanks now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk