South Austin Start-up

LuckyMedic86

Hello everyone. After selling my BC14 when moving back to Austin, I just can't shake the itch to have a reef in my house. I am going to be purchasing a 5-10 gallon tank in the next week or two and look forward to enteracting with you all!

About myself- My name is Jordan, I'm 29 years old. I work at the Veterans Administration clinic and am also a combat medic in the Texas Army National Guard. My father was in the Navy so I've always been well acquainted with the sea, she's a part of me that I will never get rid of which is where I think the attraction to saltwater came from.

What I want in my tank- I am obsessed with Zoo's so I believe I will mainly keep those. They just have such vibrant colors! Also they are easy... I will definitely have a Tailspot Blenny or two, they just have such personality and depending on the size of my tank a couple snowflake clowns. From there some sexy shrimp and ricordias would be nice....

Have a great week all!

Jordan

Thank you so much for all the greetings! I picked up my tank the other day! Mr. Aqua 11.4. I purchased it from a guy down in SA for a great price with a wavepoint LED which I'll be replacing with either an AI nano or Kessil 150. I am leaving towards the AI for the controllability but I constantly argue with myself 'Do I really need sunrise sunset? Man I like the idea of simulating cloud cover! Tanks have thrived for YEARS without all of that mumbo jumbo...' etc. etc. lol

Anyways, after I remove the blue background and respray it black (maybe), I'll be getting her cycling!

Welcome to the club! Tail spot blennies are great fish.

I really love the personality of them. I hear, if you put more than one in a tank they will school up and work together. One will keep a look out while the other collects food, then switch. Kind of neat. I'm also a big fan of their war paint.

welcome to the club. have you found aquadome yet? it's down here in the south.

lots of military, but also lots of us that appreciate ya'lls service.

I have and I LOVE that place!!! I'm also a fan of Elegant Reef down in SA (pretty nice frags and nice guys).

That's a great little tank. I had one setup as a display refugium for about a year. Yours doesn't have a drilled overflow and return by chance? Crazy if it was the same one I sold.

They're both great lights for the tank, but I would go with the kessil. They're fairly cheap and the output and quality is amazing. I like the ocean blue, the deep blue is too much unless you want all actinic. If you want more of a warmer daylight look, the sky blue is the way to go.

Welcome and welcome back to the addic....hobby!

lol definitely an addiction! My wife is not so happy. My arguement, I could be addicted to drugs! It's about the same amount of money but far more detrimental to your health! She has purses and shoes so I think this is only fair.

That's a great little tank. I had one setup as a display refugium for about a year. Yours doesn't have a drilled overflow and return by chance? Crazy if it was the same one I sold.

They're both great lights for the tank, but I would go with the kessil. They're fairly cheap and the output and quality is amazing. I like the ocean blue, the deep blue is too much unless you want all actinic. If you want more of a warmer daylight look, the sky blue is the way to go.

That would be amusing! No, it is not drilled. I'm just going to be running a HOB with some purigen and filter floss. Nice and simple and let the rock do most of the work and water changes of course.

I do like the cost, shimmer, simplicity of the Kessil. Ocean blue would be my choice as well, there's just some corals, zoa's especially that look AMAZING under actinics. So I'm thinking maybe I'll also have a sunner strip on standby in case I ever want to make those particular corals pop even more and as a night light. I put my dogs in a crate and turn all the lights in the house off before bed, why not plop a little strip on top of my tank as well? I just love the way AOG zoas and a few others look under that deep blue.

Welcome to the "south of the river" reef club.

lol do we get together and have a dancing(like sharks and jets), jelly fish throwing stand off with the "North of the River" club?

We're outnumbered but very scrappy.

I'd check out Build my led for lights, too. I think they have a lot more options when it comes to colors in the spectrum that may help your livestock.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back to the hobby and thank you for your continued service. I think all of us veterans and current service members should get together, coul dbe fun, could be crazy

I am with Planeden on the BMLs, I use them and I really like them

Archived