Totally new at this

mzoss

Hi everyone,

I've really enjoyed browsing your site. Lots of great info and pics. I am just starting out with a 29 gallon biocube. I haven't set anything up yet so if anyone knows of a good souce for inexpensive live rock please let me know. Also I'm not sure whether to get sand or crushed coral - not really sure of the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

I have always used sugar sized aragonite and have really enjoyed it ... no real reason for the choice it was just what I bought when I first started this hobby and I have never switched. I have about half a bag left if you would like it you are more than welcome to have it. I am in pflugerville closed to 45/130 so I am prolly close to you in round rock.

I have crushed coral and I am thinking of switching to sand. There is a thread started by KeeperoftheZoo where she talks about the pros/cons. I'd hate to come down on one side or the other. It seems to me to be a matter of choice.

Welcome. I use sand. I used crushed coral before and it ended up being a bit of a nightmare. My sand sifting critters could not move around in it and it eventually got clumpy and hard in some spots. I changed it out and put sand.

Welcome to the club....we personally prefer aragonite (small grain like-sand) then the large crush coral.

The sand I have is pretty large grain. It is crushed aragonite. It is pretty awesome.