Wages Pickling Lime Source?

absolut_racer

I am experimenting with distilled white vinegar and pickling lime as a source of calcium hydroxide to make kalkwasser for my top-off water. My understanding is, as opposed to kalk powder, this is not lab-grade and has less calcium content by weight.

Side-note: I am also testing epsom salt as a source of magnesium.

This may be in the article, but it is my understanding that when using regular OTC Epsom salts regularly and long term there is a detrimental deposit of some element. I use it occasionally.

Ric, This calculater will tell you how much Epsom salt to use. http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Bill

As a warning, a non scientific warning, there was a time about 4-5 years back when many San Antonio reefers decided to start using Epsom salts for MG. Several started using them about the same time, they all complained about excessive hair algae growth. I know that one person quit the hobby altogether, draining down a 215g tank because of the experience. It was never tested to see if it was because of the cheap salts or just totally random, but I do know that several people swore it off as being a really bad idea.

I tried using Epsom myself once when I began to have an algae outbreak, the theory that excessive MG kills off algae, only to have it grow like crazy in the tank. I did already have the HA so I cannot say that the Epsom was the cause, nor can I definitely say that it caused the HA to grow faster. I can say that it did nothing to drive back the HA and that I won't be touching it again myself.

One gallon jugs of kents tech m arent very expensive and last quite awhile since mag doesnt need to be dosed very often. Epsom salt MIGHT work just fine and be completely harmless but why risk it when the Kent product is proven safe and effective and really not that expensive when ordered on line by the gallon.

• 6 months later...

i agree with MIKEcaferacer. I just dont wanna chance looseing my SPS cause im lookn for a CHEAP ya to supplement my tank. Let the true chemist that have already tested the stuff do that. I am going to buy techM or cal from a company i trust. To me its just not worth loosing all my livestock. Please dont let me offend you Sara, im not tryn to bash you.

I'm with Jeremy and Mike. We'll spend $50-$100 on a frag of SPS/chalice/LPS but then try to save $5 for "cheap" dosing supplements. It just doesn't make sense.

Kalk (calcium hydroxide) is cheap. $11 for a gallon jug @ BRS and mine has lasted me over 6 months. And I'm dosing it every day in my top off water.

For the amount of time it takes to drive around, walk the isles, ask someone (this is painful for men), the amount of money you'd save just doesn't make sense. Especially if you work for yourself so your time is truly worth $$.

On top of that, who knows what is in the store brand stuff. Things like epsom salts don't have to be overly pure. Again, we'll spend hundreds of dollars on an RO/DI unit to get 100% clean water, then throw in who knows what from store brands?

Everytime I've been cheap, its always bit me in my a--.

(Nothing personal, I just had to throw in my opinion).