new 400w 20k reeflux bulbs

mikedelgado

I'm all about my 12k Reeflux bulbs, great color when I combined with actinic supplementation. I'm assuming the 20k gives the look of my 12k without the need for the actinics. It is a pretty badass color and the corals IMO, love it.

-Ty

I have used the 12k in the past and I really liked those too. I wanna say they looked about the same as these 20k's(awsome!).I read online somewhere that the 20k's higher par #'s than the 12k's. Doesnt really make sense but who cares, I love the way they look

I just finished a five month stint with the Reeflux 20K. They are nice and blue and BRIGHT! That being said, I didn't feel like my corals were doing as well as they did under the 12K with regards to both color and growth rate. In the last week, I have retrofitted with Reeflux 10K. Definitely more yellow/pink, but my corals appear to be responding already in a positive fashion. Just my two cents worth...

Interesting. Are you using 250's or 400w. Keep me posted on your opinion of growth and color down the road with the 10k reeflux.I really expect the same type of improvements in my tank just because the 20k ushio's I just replaced were almost 2 years old.

I ordered and tried the 10k reeflux for 2 days. Yellow really isn't my color since I'm a fan of the blue so I'm sticking with the 12k. I could imagine though longer term that you would get great growth with that bulb.

-Ty

You may want to give the 10K a little more time it takes about 100 hrs for them to reach their full k value. Might not be quite as yellow after that. jmho

Yes, I run Coralvue Eballasts, nondimmable. I made the decision to go with what would give a well supported spectrum over viewing aesthetic. Running 400W lamps means at most a 5-6hour photoperiord a day. I view my reef under a Fiji Purple and Actinic Blue T5 lamp in the evening when watching TV and relaxing. I may put the 20K's back on in a year when I have grown in the tank and see if it makes a difference in color. Time will tell.

I am also running coralvue ballasts,dimmable. And run a 5hr mh photoperiod. and 2 36" T5 giesemann actinic+ for 12hrs for viewing when I get home. I would love to add a strip of the fiji purple. I just need to figure out how to make em fit up there. I have also been looking into the power brite style led's for some extra pop while viewing in the eve.

I'm running the coralvue e-ballast as well, though mine is not dimmable. I'm thinking of just using the 10k bulb I bought in the frag tank I am setting up since it is geared for growth and not aesthetics anyways. If it starts coloring up a little better down the line a switch may be in order in the display tank. Thanks for the headsup.

I have an 8hr metal halide photoperiod and a total 12hr actinic schedule.

huh...alot of diffrnt answers. I to have a coralvue e ballast 400w and run my 20k reeflux from noon till 8pm. My VHO superactinics come on at 9am till 10pm. Then at 9:20am 4 T5s (fiji purple, actinic, and 2 daylight) come on, then at 9:40am the other 4 T5s come on(same color of bulbs). The T5s are on till 8:20pm (1st set of 4 go off then), then 2nd set of 4 go off at 8:40pm. So i have a 12hr photo period. So to wake up the corals(simulate sunrise), i turn on 2 VHOs, 20min later 4 T5s, 20mins later 4 more T5s, then 2 1/2hrs later the flame thrower comes on(400W 20k). Then to simulate sunset i turn them off the opposite direction. THE SECRET IS OUT!!! LOL